Golf Thread: US Open at Pinehurst - RORY VS. ROIDS

Rory truly never going to win one.

And those people chanting USA at him as he stands over his bogey putt can all fuck right off.

Wowwwww no relief for Bryson? Awesome!

1 Like

Major shout out to that rules official. If he got crowned by TIO relief that would have been disgusting.

Kind of wild that Rory shot a 69 Sunday at the US Open, and we’re all about to crucify him for choking it away.

Rory McIlroy lost a 4-foot and in putting contest to fucking Bryson DeChambeau.

R.I.P. Rory Fucking McIlroy, 5:03pm EST to 6:05pm EST, 6/16/24.

Ok, maybe I could’ve asked for a LITTLE bit more

Can you imagine how brutal it must be to know you are one of the best ever but just aren’t clutch. To know deep inside that you are a choker for someone at that level of anything has to be awful.

LOL that would rule out Shinnecock and Oakmont for sure, I’d guess Merion, Winged Foot and CC Brookline would lose interest as well

It probably does, but I think in theory you could make it palatable - maybe even just do it the week after the Open, maybe have a couple days of tee times auctioned off to raise money for local charities and then a couple in the $150-200 range via lottery and let the club pocket that to cover the cost of hosting the public for a few days.

Lots of good publicity, and the first two days shouldn’t bother them much at all. Maybe put a handicap requirement on the regular people days.

Obviously never going to happen in USA#1 but the fact that it’s laughable and dead on arrival here is a great example of how different golf is here versus some other parts of the world.

I dunno, it’s hard to describe the 2.5 foot miss as anything other than a choke. But he did fire a 69 on Sunday at the US Open, despite bad breaks on most visits to the native area and Bryson had a bunch of good breaks. Golf is super weird. If Rory lips out two of the long putts he made, and holes the two short ones, the narrative is totally different.

I think the biggest problem for Rory was decision making. He took too much club into the par 3 with adrenaline. That cost him a stroke. On the putt in 18, he basically missed it before he struck it by making a poor decision. Don’t give up the hole and ram it in. Who gives a fuck if it goes 10 feet past? You need it. Trying to die it in the hole is a recipe for what happened. If you try to slam it in and it power lips out, you just own it - “I was putting aggressively to win the US Open, and I’d do it the same way again.”

Not sure if that particular putt was a choke in execution, but it was a choke in decision making.

I can’t help but wonder what he’d have shot yesterday with Joe LaCava or Bones on the bag the last five holes. Pretty confident they would talk him into less club on the par 3, at least.

Yeah for sure. I mean he could have made 30 other putts or missed a bunch of others, but the thing that he knows deep down in his soul is that he is probably going to miss the one he needs and that must absolutely haunt him. I guess a billion dollars might help mask the pain though.

To me, the biggest issue is once Rory had to defend the lead he choked. When he was chasing he was able to bring his A game. Something changed in his mentality when he got the 2 shot lead, because he had a major to lose instead of a major to win. He needs to win a major coming from behind on the last hole so he doesn’t get into that mindset.

His troubles make Tiger’s stellar record with the 54 hole lead even more impressive by comparison.

Still Phil had equally bad choke jobs / meltdowns and went on to win more majors so it’s hard to say Rory won’t be able to get it done in the future. He just needs the right circumstances like Phil did at Muirfield.

Hit the range for the first time as a SoCal resident, excited for year round golf! I know on the old site we shared some of our own golf progress and rounds, so I thought I’d fire that up here.

Early on, it was like 4 out of 5 were excellent contact and 1 out of 5 was hosel adjacent. But on the well-struck balls, I was hitting a mixture of baby draws and pull draws. Not great. I mean, vs the old days when I couldn’t hit a draw to save my life, it’s less frustrating to see a ball spin to the left… but still.

I realized I was not getting enough rotation through the swing, my follow through was coming up a bit short, and my hands weren’t getting high enough into my finish. Perhaps a byproduct of a lot of swings on a garage simulator with a ceiling over my head, and possibly some deceleration getting into the mix. I figured this could be causing me to get too arms and reducing my lower body’s impact on the swing.

I decided to try to work on shortening my backswing (always been a problem of mine), improving my rotation, and pushing off from the ground more, and I think I found something. I stood slightly further away from the ball, added a bit more knee and hip flex, and shifted a bit more weight onto my toes. When I did that, managed to not overswing in the backswing, and rotated through the follow through, I was hitting towering straight shots with my irons. So that’s exciting, something I can work on for the next few months and hopefully groove.

My quarter and half wedges were pulling pretty badly, which they always have been. In the garage on the simulator, I had temporarily fixed this by realizing I was taking the club back outside and thus coming over the top and hitting pulls. So I tried to focus on taking the club back inside to make sure there was an arc to my club path. This still didn’t work. I got out the alignment sticks and put an empty range basket behind the ball on an outside path to make sure I was coming from inside. If anything, it got worse, because I was suddenly hitting hooky 50-yard pitches. I knew I was coming inside out with a closed down clubface because they were screwing in sideways when they landed. So I went with the weakest grip I could and as little grip pressure as possible, and started hitting them higher and straighter. That said, this feels very awkward because the grip is so weak. Anyone have any advice on this one?

After that I went to the putting green, 91/100 on 3-footers which isn’t bad for the first time working on putting in a long time. I did 21/25, 22/25, 24/25, 24/25 so I was pretty happy. Then I rolled 20 20-footers at the 3-foot circle and went 4/5, 4/5, 5/5, 5/5 with one make in the last group.

I think my practice routine the next few weeks (should be able to get out to the range 1-2 times a week, and maybe get a round in two) will be to hit ~100 range balls focusing on shortening the backswing, using the ground, and getting the proper rotation and a high, in balance finish on my follow through. Then I’ll work on the old Ultimate Practice Routine dagolfdoc posted on 2p2 back in the day. Roll 3 footers until I make 25 in a row, then roll 20 footers until I get 20 in a row in a 3-foot circle, then roll 30 footers until I get 20 in a row in a 3 foot circle, then roll 45 footers until I get 20 in a row in a 3 foot circle. I think I can get the 3 footers and the 20 footers, the 30 footers maybe, the 45 footers are going to give me a lot of trouble. Then I’ll go to chips and try to get 8 out of 10 in a 3 foot circle from 20-30 feet.

I’ll keep going with the routine advancing from there over time, but I think if I can get the 30 footers and the chips, and keep working on my full swing, I should be pretty happy with the progress (breaking 90 consistently) in 4-6 weeks.

1 Like

Two solids blue votes move out of PA.

Who do we blame if Harris loses the keystone state?

• Tim Walz
  • cW and wife for moving
  • Enjoy the year round golf, ya bastard
0 voters
1 Like

EZ, just don’t register in California yet, fly back to vote. Then bill George Soros for your airfare.

Can Mrs. cW even vote?

No, only one vote left.

I have it from a yuge source that immigrants can vote easily.