Growing, Cooking, and Eating Good Food

I had a good modern take on ramen today.

4 Likes

Holy Christ

I’ve had this thought for awhile now. there is a global demand for high margin produce, and the places and methods of growing them are spreading as well. even if they require greenhouses etc. ginger and turmeric can he cultivated everywhere and seems like nobrainers. i’ve seen WA grown saffron at the farmers market. i have a relatively usable culinary bay leaf growing. the most extreme case is Iceland grown wasabi root, which tastes amazing.

1 Like

I’m a little behind on posting some foot pics, so we get a big dump tonight.

After the holidays, I had a leftover wheel of brie that never got used as an appetizer. What to do? Well, Serious Eats had a recipe calling for a whole one called Tartiflette:

Served with Chef Steps smokerless-smoked brisket.

We usually ask my girls what they want to eat for dinner for the week before we go shopping, and usually it’s the same requests: hot dogs, mac and cheese, dumplings. Honoring the same old same old is infrequent at best. Last week, my younger daughter, out of the blue, asked for pork belly buns. OK, we’ll honor the change of pace.

Also recently, my mom mentioned that she wanted a porterhouse bone to gnaw on, that it’s one of her favorite things. They had taken the girls for the long weekend, so we prepared a thank-you meal

Brought back the miso bearnaise from Christmas to go with it.

5 Likes

god dammit science why you gotta take everything from us?

1 Like

For 23 of the bars, eating just an ounce a day would put an adult over a level that public health authorities and CR’s experts say may be harmful for at least one of those heavy metals. Five of the bars were above those levels for both cadmium and lead.

What in the fuck does the FDA do if not this? Why am I learning this from Consumer Reports?

eta:

This is BETRAYAL

just fyi, if i suddenly croak and stop posting, it’s probably from consuming too many ounches of trader joe’s chocolates per day for too long.

Thai red curry and pan fried tofu

:vince1:

4 Likes

Need a foot fetish thread.

mmmmmm looks amazing

First one is Detroit style from last night. Second one just a 1/2 sheetpan pizza. Didn’t snap enough pics to show off the less than ideal bottom on either pizza :harold:.

5 Likes

As a self-admitted pizza snob, that’s not my preferred style but I would eat the hell out of both those. When having homemade pizza mine usually turn out looking exactly like the second one and I have similar issues with sometimes not a great cook through the bottom of the pie.

Do you have any ‘must have’ tools for bread/pizza baking? Getting ready to purchase a loading/turning peel and whatever would help make a killer New York or New Haven style pizza.

A coal-fired oven lol? No advice there. I leave the cooking of that kind up to the professionals.

My sister has gotten super into making pizza at home (and while I haven’t eaten one, the pics she posts look quite delicious), I think she has one of these:

1 Like

Iirc you and Gregorio were in the sourdough game a few years back. Did you keep up with that or are you out of the bread game?

It’s been awhile since I made sourdough but I’ve made some sourdough-adjacent stuff. Particularly after our honeymoon in Italy last year I tried making some focaccia at home (and throwing in some sourdough starter with it cause why not) and it’s surprisingly easy and really delicious. It took some practice with the dough & the oven to get it nice and thin and crispy, going from this

to this

and definitely pretty tasty once you get there. I also found a recipe in a mostly sourdough book (which was a gift from my wife’s relatives in London, they love this bakery) for milk buns, which are phenomenal dinner rolls and have been a big hit every time I make them (my wife in particular loves them). So, random stuff like that.

2 Likes

The aftermath of what I promise was good food:

We have often done steamed whole fish for Chinese New Year despite not being Chinese nor caring all that much about the lunar new year, because the ever looming question of “what do you want for dinner?” always needs answering, and trying food from other cultures is fun and delicious. This was a monkfish, which seemed like a fun, ugly, and potentially delicious idea. I’d only had French preparations, but this Chinese one was great.

3 Likes

Stuck in Colorado wondering about Detroit pizza. Some local chains have offered it and the topping to dough ratio seems off, like way too much bread to toppings. Is this just the chains i’ve tried or is Detroit pizza more on the bread side than topping side?