Invasion of Ukraine: Why Doesn't Russia Concede Kursk and Negotiate Peace?

That looked large and expensive.

New drone attack in Moscow:

https://twitter.com/RoyalIntel_/status/1654205659431280640?s=20

1 Like

appears to be a ukranian bayraktar that lost control.

I have also heard that it could be a Russian Luch Korsar. Why would a Ukrainian TB2 fly over Kyiv?

People posting that Ukraine shot down one the hypersonic missiles presumably with Patriot missile

https://archive.ph/iLe6T#selection-2993.0-3174.0

1 Like

details are interesting. khinzhal would not be considered hyper sonic if made in the us. missile itself doesn’t reach those speeds unless at high enough altitude. speculation is that patriot caught it because it flew at low enough altitude and had to slow down

I assume cutting edge or next gen hypersonic defense is just going to arrays of rail guns? Or are we going straight to lasers?

looks like all missile stuff still

Think the goal is to get the missiles while still in space before missiles can put out decoys and multiple warheads

Lasers and rail guns are line of sight, if you want to hit something over the horizon missiles and artillery are still the best choices.

I say this with a good deal of guilt, because the goal should be for Ukrainians to maximize their war aims with no regard for Western impatience for some sort of dashing offensive, but it’s not clear if any grand offensive is on the way, and I am checking my feeds everyday and I confess to feeling some impatience myself. The main thing id say though is that the idea of a substantial spring offensive has been promulgated by Ukrainians themseleves, from random bloggers to senior military brass, so it was not a rubric imposed on them by Western benefactors.

That said I did some youtubing today and a relatively prominent Ukranian blogger is sugguesting a push south to Melitopol, sooner rather than later, take that for what you will.

yeah there is no doubt that AFU has been planning for the counteroffensive since last october, and structured their equipment asks around it. this isn’t the west pushing them. i think it is very easy to expect too much from them. i think major achievements would be for AFU to break through to Azov, and hopefully to the land bridge with crimea.

i doubt very much AFU will try to siege mariupol, their haven’t shown any signs that they would send soldiers to die those hills like ldnr/wagner. the game is taking territory for more precise strikes, and hitting the supply lines until Ru have no choice but to withdraw.

major problem is all those fortifications Ru built in the south. no idea how good leopards and bradleys are, but they’ll have to assault onto tens of thousands mobiks in trenches, without A-10’s providing close air support, or ATACMS. on the one hand only one breakthrough would cause a lot of problems. on the other hand, multiple tiers of defense means breakthroughs are not necessarily decisive.

good thread, even if info is outdated

1 Like

Yep I checked that thread out earlier, reminded me of sunken defense from sc.

I’ve been watching Dmitry Gordon of late. I still can’t find any direct Russian state derp on the youtubez, and I can’t follow Ukrainian coverage in Ukrainian, so I just try to look for Ukrainian commentators speaking Russian. But Gordon is understandably in the tank for Ukraine, so while I get vibes of fresh news from his commentaries they are pretty biased.

i can’t hate on gordon too much, even though i don’t watch him. the guy would go on russian tv via zoom and call them fascists to their face, before anyone else would. props!

but, having said that, he is precisely the stereotype of russian/ukranian oligarch or enterpreneur in late 80s/90s, where you just know there is straight up corruption. there are two ways to get rich, be either connected to government money, or figured out how to keep your nose out of that shit, and hide as much income from taxes as possible, because FSB or SBU agents are going to rappel through the windows eventually.

for military updates i watch oleg zhdanov and taras berezovets. both are grounded in reality, but generally positive on UA’s chances. but most serious bloggers know to shut the fuck up about the counteroffensive. so, we are just waiting

i do love myself some russian propaganda overviews (Zomboyaschik and Borzunova). a few of russian language comedians are doing it. it’s kinda shooting fish in a barrel, because the propaganda is so bad, but better than news of yet another day in bakhmut.

1 Like

May 9th 2022

May 9th 2023

This T-34 was the only tank in the parade

1 Like

that robot dog was also taken out by an AFU drone

Ukraine seems to be doing fine with what they have lately but shitty Israel wouldn’t let these get sent over

ID won’t help ukraine. it intercepts shoulder launched and other slower rockets. ru ballistic and high precision missiles would go right through that. instead IDF gave ukraine additional integrated radar, which can be placed to cover hundreds of kilometers range and help systems like patriot and iris.