Invasion of Ukraine: Why Doesn't Russia Concede Kursk and Negotiate Peace?

I only know a little bit about Moldova, and while I’m not sure this is true, it’s unsurprising. Moldova is a former Soviet Republic, the so-call Transnistria region, the sliver of land between the Dnister river and the eastern border, is claimed by Russian separatists. Of course it would be on Putin’s radar either to annex or at least turn into a vassal state. It single handedly falsified Keeed’s “But where would Putin go after Ukraine?” shtick, not that he ever acknowledged its existence.

Ukraine saying they shooting down balloons over Kyiv. Is this new? Dont remember ever hearing mentioned specifically before

Everyone’s got balloon fever now.

1 Like

sohotrightnow.gif

looks to be dummies meant to fool anti-aircraft radar

1 Like

re: Moldova, also worth noting that it’s basically a chunk of Romania that Russian imperialism split off in the early 1800s. It spent most of the last 200 years as part of Russia in one form or another but notably after WW1 it declared its independence from Russia and chose to become part of Romania, until the USSR re-annexed it during WW2. The Moldovan language is Romanian, though the Soviets tried to pretend they were different to promote a separate Moldovan national identity.

1 Like

I learned a sliver of this thanks to a recent Redactle puzzle, but, yeah, much Eastern European history (like much of world history) is a massive black hole in American education.

Probably a massive black hole in most edu systems to be fair. Can’t remember being taught much about this growing up.

1 Like

crossing some red lines

2 Likes

biological warfare

1 Like

Shocked I tell you

looks like a network of russian spies within germany may have been responsible for dragging on weapon deliveries.

5 minute video of trench warfare

If you want to have a good laugh:

Russia Apologists Posting Their Ls

https://twitter.com/russophileLs

2 Likes

Paraskoviivka is directly north of Bakhmut and past Soledar.

Best cliff notes ever:

1 Like