LolFlorida: Fascist Hellhole

Hey I believed the headline. Thanks for the extra confirmation.

https://www.hastingstribune.com/ap/national/state-may-question-florida-students-who-watched-disney-film-with-gay-character-in-class/article_c0fbffce-b96c-59cd-aa36-6517755ebc18.html

Just holy shit about the federal case being made of the teacher who committed the horrible crime of, checks notes, showing an animated Disney kids movie, rated PG, in class.

Lol, Florida fucked around and found out:

1.7 billion dollar campus that would have moved thousands of high-paying white collar jobs from California to Florida.

LOL:

[quote]
In a statement later Thursday, representatives for DeSantis called the decision to nix the Lake Nona campus “unsurprising.”

“Disney announced the possibility of a Lake Nona campus nearly two years ago. Nothing ever came of the project, and the state was unsure whether it would come to fruition,” DeSantis’ office said in the statement. [/quote]

Yeah, no, what actually happened was Disney negotiated millions in tax breaks for building here, but DeSantis went nuts, so Disney bailed.

1 Like
1 Like

“Messing with it’s tax handouts” is not even close to an accurate description of what Florida is doing with Reedy Creek. That’s the right-wing narrative.

disney was likely to abandon that project anyway.

Disney had struck an agreement with Florida officials that could give the company $570 million in tax breaks over a period of 20 years following the construction of its new campus in Lake Nona.

…

They already severely delayed the project multiple times. project by the last ceo. internally, they were going to have to relocate 2000 employees from ca to florida and they were extremely unhappy about it. this is a convenient excuse to ditch the project

1 Like

I don’t know any details on this but think it shows Disney playing a few levels above Desantis that they can do stuff at no real loss to themselves to punish him

It’s this.

I have a relative that’s been in limbo since the pandemic about this. she would have been one of the ones to have to move. It sparked a massive backlash in the company, for several reasons - they had gone to an all remote policy during covid, then to suddenly announce not only are you going back to office, but you’re uprooting yourself to florida or you dont have a job. disney likes to promote from within (at least in parks department) so lots of these people are company lifers and were extremely upset, rightfully. then there was a leadership change shortly after (former ceo was unpopular for a lot of other reasons than this) and every time I’ve asked my relative since if she expected it to happen she said not really. it was supposed to be 2022-2023 then 2026, but no real hard date.

2 Likes

I think Iger was going to nix it regardless, it’s just opportunistic to blame on DimSantis

2 Likes

Bob Chapek seems like a legit moron, lol corporate America. The only obviously dumber person is David Zaslav who in addition to ruining HBO thinks there is a lane for CNN to pivot right.

1 Like

The state wasn’t’ “messing with tax handouts.” That’s hte part that’s not accurate. Those agreements were still in place for Lake Nona. The state was fucking around with trying to wrest creative control from Disney through ridiculous regulations/blackmail in Reedy Creek. The dissolution of the RCID didn’t increase Disney’s tax burden by any meaningful amount. They were already paying taxes. RCID let them actually pay MORE taxes than normal becuase they also had control over how those taxes were spent (ever wonder why the roads in Disney world are always meticulous?). The idea that Reedy Creek gave Disney some sort of “special tax privileges” is a bullshit right wing talking point. It gave them control, yes, but it sure as shit wasn’t a money-saver.

Based on this post the new mana cost on Disney’s play is 0. It will for sure make fewer real estate goons now though.

This is mostly accurate, but it was still a hell of a play to do it the week before Ronnie announces for president. And had FL never started down the path of War with Disney I’m not convinced the project gets compeltely abandoned.

Bob Chapek was the WOAT. Really fucking said something that Desantis is so fucking bad that Chapek managed to not be the villain of the story.

Or, to put a finer point on it, there’s a reason Desantis’s original plan to just abolish RCID was met with not a peep from Disney. If he had just abolished and had the local governments take over Disney would have saved a huge amount of money, but it would have been disastrous for the local governments and the state. Only after DeSantis realized that (and it took some time), did it shift to him replacing RCID with his hand-picked theocracy.

RCID didn’t exist because Walt wanted tax breaks. It existed because:

1. They were building a massive theme park int he middle of the swamp, in the middle of nowhere, and the government didn’t have the infrastructure to support it. DIsney built both the park and the government/infrastructure to support the park; and
  2. Walt wanted to build an actual city. That’s what EPCOT originally was supposed to be. An “Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow.” RCID was supposed to lay the groundwork for that.
2 Likes

Thought about hearting this but couldn’t pull the trigger… Everyone here is awful so I don’t want to root for any of them:

Newsom: Bougie eDem scum
DeSantis: Smarmy bigoted jackass
Disney: Archetypal capitalist juggernaut

Too bad they can’t all destroy themselves and disappear.

1 Like