LolFlorida: Fascist Hellhole

Needs its own thread at this point I think, with so much crazy coming out of Florida these days:

Florida is investigating a teacher who showed Disney movie with a gay character : NPR.

1 Like

I stand by my take that there is going to be a major backlash there, and Dems need to make sure to stick the landing on hanging it around the GOP’s neck. I now think it could be in play in 2024.

Some Hispanic truck drivers are boycotting delivers to Florida, and some Hispanic construction workers are boycotting - in particular any that are undocumented. Same goes for a bunch of agricultural workers. This is over the new anti-immigrant law, which is also going to make it much harder to hire undocumented workers. This is going to hammer a lot of service/hospitality businesses, and could have massive unintended consequences for the state’s economy since it’s so tourist-driven.

They’ve also made it very easy and legal to racially profile drivers, which is going to piss off a lot of legal immigrants, and the GOP has done very well with that demographic in recent elections. That could change once they realize the leopards are eating their faces.

1 Like

Pretty bold of Desantis to attack Disney, agriculture, and construction in Florida.

2 Likes

pretty sure hispanic citizens went hard for trump on immigration stuff

man that’s some strong hopium

Yeah, Florida is gone. The demographic trends there are irreversible, FL is where all the Northern deplorables go to retire.

1 Like

I honestly think Texas turns blue around the same time Florida does.

1 Like

I disagree, they are going in opposite directions.

I think both need a lot of boomers to die. 5-10 years before either one is in play.

How do you see Florida in play, basically ever again? Hispanics down there turning towards the GOP and the constant thrum of maga retirees moving there versus, what exactly? North Carolina, Georgia, hell even South Carolina and Louisiana will turn blue before Florida does again.

1 Like

That may be about to reverse since the Florida GOP has declared a drastically open season on racial profiling Hispanics.

Many of whom are going to be personally impacted by the economic consequences of the fascism.

1 Like

Like my TikTok feed is flooded with videos of empty construction sites in Florida. If this continues, rebuilding from the next hurricane is gonna be… interesting.

There is nothing more depressing than The Villages.

Florida will probably turn back the other way when the real world consequences of GOP rule finally become so serious that they have to try something else. Biden could help that a lot by shitting on Cuba somehow.

Yep, and there’s a real chance that happens sooner rather than later.

1 Like

In b4 Desucker removes her from office

2 Likes

Is a democrat winning in Jacksonville that big of an upset? Democrats win mayoral races in red states all the time, because cities are blue.

1 Like

Yeah, comparing the result to a Republican winning in SF or Boston is a horrendous comparison.

it’s big but not revolutionary, Jacksonville has had one D mayor (and a single-termer at that) in the last 50 something years

1 Like