Middle Eastern Conflagration, Israel, Palestine, Lebanon, Iran

Apply this logic to the U.S. response to 9/11 and it justifies a lot of terrible things we did that shouldn’t be justified. I don’t think it’s very good logic here either.

1 Like

In your scenario the killing of a family or two is over relatively quickly and the soldiers move on to the next building. In Israel’s scenario they slowly kill EVERYONE IN GAZA over a few weeks and their soldiers just watch. I’m not sure how your scenario is worse.

How do you rate war crimes? How many people were killed? How they were killed? How many were civilians? What makes executing hundreds of people worse than starving hundreds of thousands of people?

lol, I caught a week ban for mouthing off a that guy

Humans are incapable of having a universally agreed upon definition of what things are worse than others, so this whole atrocity Olympics thing doesn’t really work.

4 Likes

EVERYWHERE only has a couple of days food in their territory. It doesn’t take much of a snowfall and US grocery stores empty out within a week and we have one of the best distribution networks in the world. Stop filling up warehouses and bad things happen quickly.

2 Likes

WaPo: Israel says it will end Hamas rule in Gaza as casualties soar

I’m sure this latest round of war crimes will finally end the violence:

I’m reminded of Barbara Lee’s speech, and the warning within (which went unheeded), as she cast the lone vote against the AUMF in 2001:

6 Likes

DeSantis has declared a state of emergency, blaming Biden for leaving Floridians stranded in Israel. It allows him to mobilize the Florida national guard in a rescue operation.

The news yesterday said that Gaza has about three days of clean water left and their hospital can keep the generators running for four more days.

O good to see that someone running for president definitely isn’t trying to inject themselves into an international crisis in some way

I’d be really surprised if it was at all legal for a governor to wage war on another country with their national guard…

1 Like

That’s pretty horrible. That’s also not what’s about to happen.

Pretty surprised to see this on the CNN front page:

I think an accurate representation of the situation is that Israel has taken ~2.3M people hostage via siege, and is stating that if Hamas does not release its hostages, those ~2.3M people will be left for dead without food or water.

Do you disagree with that representation?

Gun to my head, I don’t think Israel follows through to that degree, but that’s basically what they’re saying.

They do seem to be saying that but appears nobody believes them. Like if any the surrounding countries genuinely thought 2 million people were about to die then they would either figure out how Egypt could take refugees or go to war themselves?

Yeah, I don’t know. I kind of feel like we should believe them. I mean, people keep making the 9/11 comparison and in many ways it’s not a good comparison but in the gut reaction to the situation, maybe it is. If, after 9/11, the Taliban had 150 Americans held hostage in a cave in Afghanistan, how many Afghan civilians would the United States have been willing to kill to save those 150? Now imagine Donald Trump was president. What’s the number?

I wouldn’t rule it out. That’s the uncomfortable part, it feels like the Israeli government is getting the benefit of the doubt unless/until this happens, but when does that benefit of the doubt stop? Is it after two days with no clean water? Or do we wait until civilians in Gaza start dying of dehydration?

The part that makes my stomach churn is that I haven’t heard anything about alternative plans, and given a choice between abandoning the 150 hostages and this, I am pretty sure Netanyahu is choosing this. Maybe they wait until the last possible minute before the siege starts literally killing civilians en masse, then send in some sort of raid to get the hostages? Do they even know where they are?

We have no idea, and the (air quotes) responsible grown ups (air quotes) are hand waving away the people who are concerned.

To be clear here, I’m all for wiping Hamas off the face of the Earth. But I’m not for extreme collateral damage in terms of civilian lives. Also to be clear, this is not me blaming Israelis more than Palestinians for this. This is just me looking at the current situation and saying, “Surely we aren’t going to all stand around and watch this happen… right?”

But I fear we are.

Yeah it’s terrible situation. And weird too given the number of hostages like every governmental statement is also part of a “negotiation” and I know nothing about negotiation for hostages held by terrorists? Like maybe you want to threaten the fuck out of them (that certainly wouldn’t seem optimal to me???)

I doubt Hamas would give up the hostages for anything less than the return of vastly more Palestinian prisoners, and Bibi would sooner condemn the hostages to die than do that, sooooo yeah it seems bleak.

Is that true? I thought was standard practice for Israel to make super lopsided hostage swaps, like even trading actual convicted terrorists to get back Israeli remains?

I don’t. Israel is not going to starve 2 million people to death. Threatening to do that to try to get the hostages released is not the same thing as doing it.