Personal Economics and Financial Decisions

It’s not a completely comforting thought, but in your case you’re probably better off just setting aside the money you would spend on the life insurance premium and investing it in a fund that your family only uses in case of your death.

The problem is that there’s quite a big gap for what that fund could be in the next 5 years and what it needs to be. Just frustrating.

1 Like

I bet they’ll sell you whole life! Ba dum tissssss!

That sucks though and the industry is clearly in need of some regulation.

Ha, basically every doctor finance book starts off with:

1. Get great disability insurance that pays out if you can’t work as the specific type of doctor you are now
  2. Don’t buy whole life
1 Like

I got turned down for life insurance because of a history of depression. JLawOk

1 Like

I got rated because within the last 5 years I told my counselor I smoke weed. Clearly taking some crazy anxiety or anti depressant meds is a better solution!

At the time I was 33 with no other health issues.

Riverman is correct. Whole life insurance is always awful. Buy the equivalent amount of term life insurance, then stick the premium difference in a fund tracking the S&P 500, or even just a fucking savings bond or CD, and you will likely come out light-years ahead.

Not going to be surprised when CDs outperform the market the next 1-2 years. Seeing rates approaching 5%.

1 Like

Where?

1 Like

Facebooks powers are something. I read this post and flip to FB where viola (never seen this ad before and I don’t just google CDs or anything)

1 Like

The Mich St Fed CU has something like 4.8. Will be getting one soon. 12 month I think.

1 Like

Condolulations

Anyone else have an EIDL? Payments started in December.

I’m supposed to get signed up in the FACS system but I’ve been jumping through hoops for a few weeks now. Incredibly difficult to get confirmed. So I can’t see my account.

Just sending in money via pay.gov for now. Thankfully they answer emails with 3-4 days so I know what and when to pay.

Im surprised people are surprised by this stuff at this point. Your employer does not care about you. At all.

I don’t get it. If these are layoffs don’t you get warned first? (Warn-acted rather). How are people getting insta-fired without a warning that their job is ending on x date?

1 Like

Apparently they literally sent an email the night before telling people they were fired and if you didn’t check your email you showed up to a keycard not working.

I assume they’re afraid of people shooting up the place

1 Like

I think at least for Google that these layoff emails are actually 60 day notices to comply with WARN.

How is that not a Warn Act violation? Do they just keep paying them for several more months?

Isn’t that kind of standard in tech? Like once it is known that either you’re quitting/retiring/ laid off they don’t let you in the building I assume for fear of selling secrets/sabotage or something?

I assume you keep getting paid though