Personal Economics and Financial Decisions

20 year man is probably getting like 40 weeks of severance (my guess is google is at some baseline then 2 weeks for each year of service like a lot of companies with their resources) and they’re probably worried about someone deleting code, or coming in and intentionally committing something bad/destructive rather than shooting up the place.

Either way it is pretty heartless and one more sign that if you have to say “don’t be evil” then you’re probably going to be pretty evil since all corporations fail to live up to their own ideals and “don’t be evil” is actually a pretty low bar in the scheme of those things

You never know in the USofA. Could be 2 weeks. Though id guess a Google would have a decent to good severance. (CA may have some extra rules, not sure).

1 Like

Seems tech severance generally pretty good. I know a guy who works for sales force and he was “hoping” to get laid off as was going to get something like 7 months salary and he already has another option lined up. I assume he still would have been disappointed if actually happened but didn’t seem to be sweating it

1 Like

Ok after trying a ton of things, the people at policy genius helped me get in with pacific life and I got the amount of insurance I think I need (house paid for, college money available, enough for wife to not work for 5+ years) at what’s seems reasonable rate

5 Likes

Now to fake your death….

1 Like

Ha! I told my wife I’m still worth more alive than dead, but then she helpfully pointed out that came with the cost of dealing with me.

3 Likes

k well now what

13 Likes

Wow! Congrats! Now go make a really foolish financial decision to celebrate.

1 Like

1 Like

12 Likes

Basically. If you let them in the building they might switch all the default search engines to Bing

1 Like

I can’t stop hate reading bogleheads.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=396981&newpost=7104589

2 Likes

Just got to the couple spending $150K while making $1.5M with a $6.4M net worth and stressing about whether or not they can afford to join an $8K/yr beach club. Like, by a reasonable standard, they could retire right now and live on $250K. By a very cautious standard, they could retire and live off the $150K they spend now.

I’m sorry what’s the problem again? You had to work hard to get rich? Yeah, that’s true if you’re not a trust fund baby. Welcome to the 99.9%.

As far as what other people are spending, who cares? If we were all tightwad BHs, the economy would probably go into a depression.

lol

So if your mortgage escrow ends up coming short because of unexpectedly big tax/insurance increase I assume the bank just pays the difference and bills you? Not like they just say lol we didn’t have enough escrow so now your insurance not getting paid

1 Like

When this happened to me they just paid it and increased the escrow payments moving forward but lol mortgage servicers so who knows!

1 Like

Yeah. I’ve also had it go the other way. My new payment started at $2200 and then 3 months later got adjusted to $1900.

1 Like

Yes they will do a catch up formula if you get behind. If you get ahead by more than a certain amount ($1,000???) they will both cut you a check and reduced the payment. Maybe it varies by state.

Once it gets out of whack, expect it to bounce around for 2-3 years as it gets dialed back in. Thank your taxing authority.

1 Like

Yeah this happened to me, original tax estimates were based on on an old decrepit house on the lot that was almost entirely leveled for a new construction. Within a year the bill tripled. Escrow balance went negative and my mortgage skyrocketed to adjust. Went from $2300 to $2600 to $3300. I expected the taxes to go up but the wild escrow reaction to it wasn’t really budgeted. I assume they would have adjusted it back down after the escrow balance refilled but I sold before then.

2 Likes

I’m having the opposite problem, but I think it’s because my real estate taxes for 2022 are based on an empty plot of land