Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

For random stuff that probably isn’t worthy of its own thread. I’ll open with this interesting blog post, arguing that we shouldn’t go to Mars (if bobman makes it over here, this sounds like his jam):

As for that space station, the jewel of human spaceflight, it exists in a state of nearly perfect teological closure, its only purpose being to teach its creators how to build future spacecraft like it. The ISS crew spend most of their time fixing the machinery that keeps them alive, and when they have a free moment for science, they tend to study the effect of space on themselves. At 22 years old [12], the ISS is still as dependent on fresh meals and clean laundry sent from home as the most feckless grad student.

It’s quite long, this is all from the first ~third of it, but there’s some really interesting stuff here about recent discoveries about life on earth and why it means we shouldn’t send anything but robots to other planets.

1 Like

As a wise man once said, “It’s what’s next.”

So former Kentucky Governer Matt Bevin tweeted for the first time today (well yesterday now) for the first time since September

Oh no he is filing for governor…

So the significance of this is it was the last day to file to run for governor. He just did a news conference that said nothing before leaving. Solid troll job.

Dude was such a horrendous governor it was a solid relief it was a troll job

1 Like

Why would someone even do that? Missing the attention of being in the spotlight?

Matt Bevin couldn’t win a GOP primary in 2023. That guy was so unpopular he lost the general in KY lol.

I wasn’t sure where else to park this, but I think It’s worth reiterating that not only are we dealing with some incredibly bigoted people out in the world, but these also may be some or the dumbest motherfuckers around. The correlation seems strong. https://twitter.com/donlew87/status/1611410228553072641?s=46&t=8L0l-8rNcsz7SEudTxZ1uA

1 Like

If you put the tweet on its own line (same with links, usually) its content will be embedded:

3 Likes

:vince3:

76okjt

2 Likes

Not sure if DeSantis stuff should go in its own thread, but I’m excited to complete this survey!

1 Like

Interesting that Desantis is targetting people who live in the California area.

1 Like

A story in 3 parts:

6 Likes

At first I read it as „Ass assault w/ deadly weapon“

3 Likes

Ditto LOL

I’d like Ted Cruz to chug a bottle of champagne with me, can I throw it at him?

1 Like

you can in texas

2 Likes

:vince1:

That was the only way I read it and was thinking must be an abbreviation for something lol

“Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon” seems a little… ambitious to me? I’m not a lawyer, but it seems like they would have had a better chance of the grand jury returning an indictment for a lesser charge?

It’s really hard to get no-billed as a prosecutor. Unless you are trying to get no-billed. That happens occasionally. I wonder if that prosecutor was trying to get no-billed.