Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

I wonder if this guy was on 2+2 fifteen years ago:

10-part video series, very entertaining for anyone who remembers that stuff

I don’t understand this part:

Probably because nobody was actually still (or ever) incarcerated?

Edit: Yeah, he pardoned everyone convicted of misdemeanors. Maximum sentence in jail for a misdemeanor is 1 year, marihuana was legalized in 2023 in Maryland, and finally the number of people incarcerated for misdemeanor marihuana convictions in Maryland in the last decade is probably vanishingly small in any event, and all of the sentences would already be completed.

NY did something similar (by statute) when they legalized Marihuana a few years ago.

1 Like

Can you be in prison for something that’s currently legal? At first I thought these pardons were good news but it’s actually the least he could do. Everyone convicted for possession should have automatically been pardoned the day it became legal.

I haven’t done a deep dive into Maryland’s statute but I’d be surprised if anyone was incarcerated at the time it was legalized and/or that it didnt’ contain a provision to deal with this. We’re talking about Maryland, not Alabama.

Edit: It looks like it was a constitutional amendment. I guess I’d still be surprised if anyone was incarcerated for misdemeanor marihuana at the time it passed, the general progression of these things in the blue states don’t usually have that right before it’s made legal recreationally.

1 Like

This is basically the unabomber manifesto

https://twitter.com/calibaneur/status/1802106201293152727

1 Like

I would bet a lot of money on a bunch of people being in jail in Maryland for possession at the time it was legalized, and I’d bet a lot of money that ~none of them were white.

Yeah, it’s Maryland and it’s pretty blue, but Freddie Gray wasn’t an aberration in terms of how policing there was.

https://twitter.com/paulg/status/1802303430322471025

(People like PaulG run SF)

This seems like a good use case for guillotines.

Suspicious deaths in an idyllic seaside community and detective work that points to poison sound like themes from a classic murder mystery. But the victims in this Maine whodunit were trees that stood in the way of a wealthy family’s oceanfront view, allegedly felled by well-heeled killers who, while ostracized and publicly shamed, remain free.

Wealth and hubris fuel the tale of a politically connected Missouri couple who allegedly poisoned their neighbor’s trees to secure their million-dollar view of Camden Harbor. The incident that was unearthed by the victim herself — the philanthropic wife of L.L. Bean’s late president — has united local residents in outrage.To make matters worse, the herbicide used to poison the trees leached into a neighboring park and the town’s only public seaside beach. The state attorney general is now investigating.

Amelia Bond, former CEO of the St. Louis Foundation, which oversees charitable funds with more than $500 million in assets, brought the herbicide from Missouri in 2021 and applied it near oak trees on the waterfront property of Lisa Gorman, wife of the late Leon Gorman, L.L. Bean’s president and grandson of L.L. himself, according to a pair of consent agreements with the town and the state pesticide board.

LinkedIn profile headline for this person: Charitable foundation CEO, tree killer, park destroyer.

And they’ve suffered some consequences!

Because the people they pissed off were also rich whites.

:letthemfight:

These consequences seem prettay, prettay weak, iyam.

Considering how much that view adds to their property value, they might even come out of this ahead.

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/rossbarkan/status/1803989617860808881

:exploding_head:

I think the oddest historical fact I’ve ever heard is that John Tyler, the 10th potus, still has a living grandson.

He was born in 1790. He got busy when he was like 63 and his son when he was like 77. The remaining grandson is 95.

1 Like

It’s so effing cool. Recently saw somewhere that there is one civil war veteran offspring still alive. Didn’t see the details but born in 1845 fathering a kid in 1920 at age 75 would work.

Elite headline

Get your shocked Pikachus ready, that stupid line city is going to be 98.5% smaller than originally announced.

1 Like