Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

Have any republicans figured out how to blame Joe Biden for this cave dude

First off, I’m confused about how a public school district can have archaic hair regulations in the first place: “Male students’ hair will not extend, at any time, below the eyebrows or below the ear lobes.” GTFO.

Second, this hair-related dispute is taking place at Barbers Hill High School. #irony

Finally, I was completely unaware that the term “dreadlocks” is no longer used by some people. This seems to be a pretty recent phenomenon (and almost exclusively American). I just wanted to know how to pronounce “locs” and went down a whole rabbit hole of “locs vs. dreads” stuff including this:

4 Likes

“Dreadlocks” being a problematic word is news to me, though perhaps I am out of touch.

2 Likes

I first heard about the term being out of favor about a year ago. At a poker table a boomer white guy commented to a mid 30s black guy about his “dreadlocks”. Innocent comment, maybe even a compliment, but the guy flipped out on the boomer. Literally screamed at him “do I look like I have dread?! Do I look like I’m a slave?! There’s no dread in these locks and it’s insulting for you to call them that!”

Was news to me then, and the reaction was way out of line and unnecessary, but I haven’t forgotten it and have referred to them as “locs” ever since.

3 Likes

My Uber driver this morning was radicalized against bigass pickups

2 Likes

I do not understand pickups, like at all. Even if you have it for your “business” wouldn’t it be better to just have a van and not have all your shit exposed to the elements?

That’s not manly though.

I guess depends what using it for. If you constantly loading a bunch of wet/dirty tools, mulch, bags concrete, etc into enclosed van imagine going to be pretty damn nasty.

These guys also aren’t lifting their trucks

If they’re big enough you can write them off

@Jman220

Based on just this paragraph and the context of having a widely announced man hunt was it likely legal for this guy to shoot at him when he was fleeing garage with a stolen gun? (Never mind the homeowner being an idiot having unsecured firearms)

10:10 p.m. ET: A call received from a resident in South Coventry Township indicated a “short Hispanic male, no shirt, and wearing dark pants had entered his garage while the homeowner was in it.” Cavalcante grabbed a .22 rifle that was leaning in the corner of the garage. Homeowner drew a pistol and [fired at the fugitive] as he fled with the rifle.

Pennsylvania State Police responded and secured that scene. At that time, a green sweatshirt and white t-shirt believed to be owned by Cavalcante was found in the driveway. Search perimeter was expanded to include that area.

3 Likes

In some states just entering the garage was enough for the home owner to start shooting. Someone stealing something seems like justification for shooting them though.

This is true of nearly everything the ‘alpha males’ hold dear. This might come as a shock but an AR-15 is a terrible weapon for home defense even if you genuinely thought the bad men were coming for you in the night and you needed a way to defend yourself it would be the wrong tool for the job. The right tool is a plain jane pump action shotgun with at most buckshot but if you’re smart the least lethal ammo you can find that will still incapacitate someone. Because you’re firing a gun in a residential neighborhood and bullets have a way of keeping going when they miss.

They love movies about assassins and are convinced they need huge huge guns with massive firepower. Real life sicario’s meanwhile traditionally have the worlds smallest caliber handgun being wielded by a guy behind someone else on the worlds tiniest motorcycle. (The gun is more than enough to get the job done and the smaller the caliber the less loud it will be and the less attention it will draw, the scooter is very maneuverable very low profile and very easy to steal, and the fact that the guys on the bike have a built in excuse to wear fully enclosed helmets that totally conceal their faces is a huge bonus)

These guys always bring too much tool because they’ve never done an actual days work in their lives and as a result have no idea how annoying it is to work with something that is substantially bigger than it needs to be when you have to carry it around all day / maneuver into tight spaces somewhere like a job site.

Even if he fleeing at that point?

I’m not a lawyer, and don’t know what the laws in PA say, but in Washington state, you’d be justified in firing if “a reasonable person would be in fear for their life or of grave bodily injury” (or something like that). So setting aside the manhunt/escaped fugitive part, if the guy was running away, it seems like a tough case to make. Add in the .22 rifle though and it’s harder to decide, imo.

As far as the fact that this guy seems to be a fugitive, I think the cops are allowed to shoot at fleeing people under certain circumstances. But the homeowner is not an LEO so I don’t think he should just be blasting away. But again, I don’t know the PA law and I’m not a lawyer, so…

Someone breaks into your home and grabs one of you guns? And you know there is an escaped killer on the loose and believe (correctly) that it’s him? Yeah deadly force definitely justified there.

Edit missed the fleeing part. I still think it’s justified though. Escaped killer is now on your property with your gun. If it hadn’t been a gun that he grabbed and he’s fleeing, then it’s closer, but the gun cinches it imo. You are certainly still in reasonable fear that he may use deadly physical force against you or your family at that point, especially given that it’s a rifle.

No prosecutor in the world charges under those circumstances and no jury or judge convicts so it’s academic anyway.

2 Likes

Yeah this is my feeling too, just was curious. Like in my mind someone entering, stealing and then carrying a stolen a gun on your property is almost inherently threatening regardless of what direction they moving that second but was curious how it viewed more legally