Space Stuff

I know spaceX kinda it’s own self running competent company but still hard for me to trust any sort of future product function predictions from anything associated with musk lol

If they’ve figured out how to get around the rocket equation and can put all that into orbit cheaply I’ll still think Musk is an idiot but at least we’ll have a cheap way to put stuff into orbit.

ESA did a livestream from Mars today, kinda neat.

3 Likes

More like a 17-minute-delayed-stream amirite? :leolol:

2 Likes

No idea how credible or likely this is, but enjoy:

Not very in my opinion, think this got steam from some idiotic rogan thing.

Basically, the JWST space telescope has uncovered phenomena that isn’t easily explained by current cosmological or galaxy formation theories. we’re also finding super massive black holes that shouldnt exist at the distances we see them. It’s possible we got the age of the universe wrong, but, from everything I’ve been reading on this topic the last several weeks it seems very unlikely to me. Furthermore it seems to generate far more questions than it answers, particularly around our assumptions about dark energy.

bunk science in this layman’s opinion

1 Like

this however is a really exciting time for cosmology and astronomy - recent discoveries have definitely shown that our leading theories about the early universe are way off. people are gonna put forth all sorts of stuff like this to try to get published.

it’s a bit unsettling to me honestly - I had not realized until this stuff how much of my atheism rested on a bedrock of shaky cosmology theory.

one cool thing I learned about JWST though is that it orbits the sun (not the earth) at 4x the distance of the earth to the moon! had no idea it was that far away. pretty incredible, it’s an engineering marvel in a ton of ways other than that - another being the temperature difference between its sunny side and “cold” side.

woops NASA accidentally severs contact with Voyager 2 probe 12 billion miles from Earth | Live Science

(gift link)

I didn’t read the article but it’s kind of funny that part of the reason they have to keep Starliner docked for testing is because they didn’t put sensors delicate enough to actually use for debugging the faulty thrusters so they have to use the ISS itself as a debugging tool. Turns out their whole “we’ll just document what we do really well instead of testing it in the real world” approach wasn’t as great as they made it sound when they were criticizing SpaceX for just launching stuff to see if it worked.

Everything built by Elon Musk is crap.

Biden should have included these astronauts in the prisoner swap imo

1 Like

Elon’s a jackass but SpaceX has the most reliable rocket ever flown.

Quite possibly correct, though he obviously doesn’t build stuff at SpaceX. He’s certainly a raft of human garbage tho.

It’s honestly astonishing how few people have died exploring space.

Gift link

Maybe the government should stop doing business with this shitty company?

NASA wants Boeing to be successful so they have US based alternatives to get their astronauts into space instead of paying Russia ~$80 million a seat but Boeing is just shitting the bed. They needed this flight to go perfectly because they only have 6 rockets available for future launches and that’s the exact number they owe NASA to fulfill their current $4.2 billion contract.

In hindsight, keeping a space station manned indefinitely was a mistake.

presses x