Podcast thread

Today’s IBCK is great: Tim Ferriss’s “The 4-Hour Workweek”, which is maybe the peak example of a guy trying to sell you on grift, distilled to its essence. I knew nothing about Ferriss or this book going in and it still delivered.

3 Likes

Never heard of this book before, curious.

Ugh I remember when that book first got big. Such a stupid/terrible book on so many levels.

Being part Welsh I’m very proud to see Welsh poetry and song represented by a poem about a honry, creepy dude who ogles girls at church in this week’s Weird Medieval Guys podcast.

Matt Christman is seriously sick and hospitalized. Sucks.

Recommending this to @Trolly and @MrWookie, though others may also appreciate it:

It’s a few people who met in the 5-4 Slack, talking about science & academia stuff that makes them mad. Episode 1 was about their take on this ProPublica investigation

and I really liked episode 2, about the subject of this post:

One of the hosts is in astronomy and went deep into how this sausage was made, which was interesting to learn about, particularly in contrast with how many important context details are missing when this stuff gets reported in the media.

1 Like

Todays 99% invisible was pretty good, I’m sure people who didn’t live through the satanic panic of the 80s will find all sorts of interesting parallels with the endless stream of GOP panic buttons today

Chris Hayes dropped an episode of “how to win 2024” in his feed, this is a new msnbc podcast featuring Claire McCaskill and holy shit it is the most head-up-your-own-ass navel gazing pat-yourself-on-the-back bullshit I’ve ever heard. Off the charts derp shit.

How many minutes did you last? That sounds mega-Harold.

I noticed today he has a recent episode with Chesa Boudin (reform-minded defense-attorney-turned-prosecutor who won the DA election in SF in 2019, took office right before COVID, then got recalled two years later), listened to about 2/3 of it so far and found it really interesting.

Oh man, you’re gonna hate the Prosecuting Trump MSNBC podcast.

The Preet podcast says hi

That was an insta-delete for me, nothing with Claire McCaskill is worth listening to even a little bit.

2 Likes

yeah it was worse than you even imagine

I basically heard the whole thing because I was hiking in the woods with the dog, it came on, I didn’t feel like stopping to change the podcast and didn’t want to fumble with it while moving because I was in an area near a lake and I had already seen three cottonmouths along the trail

Shame on you for boosting the ratings.

Random update on the messy Opening Arguments drama: Thomas (the non-creepy host) is suing Andrew (the creepy host) and it’s finally getting to court stuff:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OpenArgs/comments/170z0zs/major_victory_in_smith_v_admitted_creep_who_stole/

I mention this mostly because clicking through to the court order, I noticed it’s in Sonoma County Superior Court. Who knew so many internet battles would reach the same random, humble court!

lol the 5-4 nerds got roasted by Jeopardy!

kara swisher had a pretty good episode today about twitter, social media in general, disinformation during war, and the “liar’s dividend” that was pretty good, nothing in here will be revolutionary to people in this forum but some good dot-connecting, a pretty good episode to refer to normies you may know

Sean Illing has a wonderful interview with Werner Herzog, a really sweeping discussion that I’m going to listen to again

2 Likes

Halfway through today’s premium IBCK on the “organized retail crime” panic and it’s already a banger, Peter was born for this YWA-style debunking.

Yeah quiet quitting and retail theft are both incredible to me. These are both things corporations and the upper class in the US are entirely responsible for. To say they aren’t happening in a vacuum is the biggest understatement in the world with the biggest surprise being that they didn’t happen earlier and aren’t 100x bigger.

If I was a billionaire I’d wake up every day grateful the slaves don’t have a general strike + massive lootening that day. Every day without a crowd of peasants with pitchforks and AR-15’s showing up at my estate tying me up and building a guillotine between my mansion and my pool house would be a good day.

1 Like

As Peter goes into in this episode, it is not clear it is happening (for shoplifting) *at all*.

1 Like