Tech bros all suck / AI is going to ruin the world containment

I’ve used amazon fire tablets daily for many years and never considered paying for “ad-free”. It literally just shows an ad on the initial lock screen that disappears when you swipe to the home screen. That’s it.

(I guess there’s also some sponsored content in the tiny “discover” area but I’ve just always ignored all that.)

It’s not like the Kindle app shows you an ad every 10 pages you turn while reading or anything like that.

1 Like

I hate ads, I bought ad free kindle, have youtube premium, twitch turbo, etc. I’ll pay a lot of money for no ads. It’s an invasion of my experience

this sounds great but man in my brief interactions with this it seems like the publishers have added so much friction to the system (of course they want to make this as miserable as possible) plus I just like walking around my library (if my local branch were less conveniently located my opinion on this would be way different obviously

Yeah ad free Kindle makes no sense as the only time you ever see an ad is on the lock screen. If that bothers you then :leolol:

I would never go back to non e-reading. I don’t have to haul books around with me while traveling, I read on my phone out in public and don’t need to take up house space to store them.

pictionary

:harold:

I kinda think Kindle puts the most embarrassing ads possible just to get you to pay for the ad-free version.

Yeah, kindle is just a massive space saver. No hauling books. No storing books. No figuring out what to do with piles of books you’ve already read. I’d accept one ad per chapter for that benefit.

You don’t say!

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-024-07566-y

I’ve wondered about this exact issue and called spring 2022 the real generative epoch - there’s no guarantee anything made after that date was created by a human, but even more importantly is there’s no way to accurately train models on data created after that point because its also not known if its human made, and now it sounds like it just “collapses”.

Going to be a crazy world in 5ish years when there’s people selling sparkling pre-epoch data from the human region of France.

If there was any real promise to AI, it’d be simple to pay people or companies for writing on which to train the models.

The fact that the economic viability is wholly dependent on free inputs tells you how worthwhile it is, just like the NCAA

https://x.com/econominable/status/1816217775884398971?s=46&t=45vgHoZvsEXz2aWNi8tmcw

Looks like everyone is broke because of DraftKings and not because of Bidenomics

I think there’s a ton of promise with AI but it’s still being hyped to the moon, kinda like the internet when it first came out. But the idea that we’re going to replace human art with glorified predictive text is repulsive and dumb even if it could really happen.

“In every single case, the intention to buy or use the product or service was significantly lower whenever we mentioned AI in the product description.”

lolol, not only are they producing crap no one wants, they’re actually poisoning the whole concept of “AI” as a selling point.

2 Likes

everyone in management is trying to figure out how to ai-wash our software but the actual users don’t want it at all and I’m pretty sure even the people who actually sign off on the buying decision are already past the point of thinking “AI = good”

Correct, anything where AI is inserted into something that I’ve used in the past is a 100% guarantee that I will not use it.

It’ll be bittersweet because it’ll send the Nasdaq into the shitter (hope it’s after November :harold:), but god it’s going to be so funny if all these AI-focused companies collapse under their own weight of spending billions (trillions?) of dollars developing products that are not useful and have no customers except for college students wanting to cheat on essays and garbage clickbait farms wanting to eliminate their last 2 employees. And then we’ll get to watch all the CEOs who made these disastrous decisions keep their jobs. :harold:

Don’t think we’re anywhere close to peak AI. Remember how batshit crazy NFTs got before the price collapsed? It won’t be AI’s turn until Eminem and Snoop start making music videos and there are AI superbowl commercials.

I’d be shocked if there weren’t any this year. And we’ve sure as shit had AI Olympics commercials:

Kinda a weird spot, seems obvious increasing role of AI is inevitable but currently it sucks as delivered