Tech bros all suck / AI is going to ruin the world containment

I’m playing cp2077 right now it’s a little bit interesting (not the game) because it’s likely the last massive open world game created entirely by humans. No way gta 6 even doesn’t have a ton of this stuff everywhere and I can only imagine what it will be like in 5 years.

https://twitter.com/aridrennen/status/1823794605034442926

what the fuck zucc? I got to FB to check my alumni group and all I get in the feed is this scam garbage

Note that this isn’t sponsored, zucc’s dumb fucking algorithm is suggesting this to me

I didn’t read the whole article but saw this snippet highlighted on social media:

Dog has diarrhea–>dump him at a shelter to be euthanized is some serious dystopia shit.

https://x.com/FizzVsTheWorld/status/1829165564797038847

Incredible how this tech attracts the biggest dipshits on the planet.

Nowadays if you don’t have chatgpt check your writing you’re the hack.

This could go in here or Crapto, but enjoy what this story about what libertarian Bitcoin tech bros are trying to do to Honduras:

Gift link

Distrust spread among members of the community, who felt they had been lied to about Próspera’s intentions. In September 2020, Brimen tried to address the conflict by organizing a meeting in Crawfish Rock. Connor wrote a letter asking him to postpone it, because Covid was spreading rapidly on the island and the hospitals there were full. Brimen, who says he was invited by village elders, held the meeting that evening anyway, accompanied by guards. He stood on a second-story porch reading into a microphone the parts of the ZEDE law pertaining to land expropriation. “That’s when all hell broke loose,” Cárdenas said. People rushed up the steps, some shouting that he should leave, others to let him speak; shoves were exchanged, and Brimen’s MacBook tumbled off the railing. He yelled at people to back up and stop violating his right to social distance. Trucks of police officers arrived.

wat

I’m sorry did someone think that the checks notes libertarian billionaires wanted ‘freedom from government’ to build a nicer world? Nope they want a place where they can pay poors to participate in dangerous medical experiments.

Honestly this is the least surprising thing I’ve ever heard. Speaking of which how is this place not the largest organ transplant operation in the world with a fully functioning market for human organs? That’s obviously the unreported part right? There’s just no chance this place doesn’t exist to guarantee that billionaires can always get a fresh new heart whenever they need one no questions asked.

OMG the crypto bros have reinvented seasteading!

I’m pretty sure it’s the exact same people as last time to be fair. More like the fifth iteration of whatever seasteading was. Still very stupid and dystopian.

Sure, lol Jacob Wohl and whatnot, but these guys are on to something. There is an inconceivable amount of money to be made selling “AI consulting” to businesses, like businesses are ready to just throw money at AI stuff they don’t understand, it’s the next blockchain only bigger.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/09/02/jacob-wohl-jack-burkman-ai-lobbying-pseudonyms-00176917

I think people are waking up on AI really fast. I don’t know anyone who hasn’t tried to use it for work and rapidly run up against it’s honestly very significant limitations. It’s funny that the most impressive piece of productivity tech that AI has given us has been out for years and it’s google translate. Like by a million miles. The rest of it has mostly secretly been cover for Indian outsourcing, tech enabled plagiarism, and helping to market old school human created expert systems (this is lots and lots of saas products that claim to be AI).

I think AI is behind the scenes a very big deal because there are certain types of problems that are actually very hard to deal with resource wise if you’re using humans with at least bachelors degrees in say biology to do them in poorly paid research lab jobs. These jobs are gatekeeping in some cases huge scientific advances. The protein folding thing is just one excellent example of what I’m talking about.

I think machine learning as a methodology is going to be one of the fundamental things in computer science and we’re going to use it tons of places. I think AI is a marketing term and right now I couldn’t be less impressed by anyone using it trying to sell me something. In fact as a sales person am pitching anti outsourcing and anti automation almost every meeting. The message is literally ‘This work is too important to outsource to India or ask Chat GPT. I will sell you what you are paying for.’ With the types of customers I’m trying to win that shit slaps.

Millennials and younger know it’s all bullshit that will just eventually be monetized in a way that makes it awful for users, with massive externalities.

That was my stripper name in college.

1 Like

So great that we’re boiling off the oceans for this. Why does every new business fad have to involve insane CPU power?

https://x.com/aisolopreneur/status/1830664714902446469

When you see a bunch of solution looking for a problem technology offers popping up everywhere, to me it suggests that there’s way more processing power coming online over the next decade than we have an actual use for.

All of this is semiconductor companies trying to tell us why we need to spend a trillion dollars on their next product line instead of them turning into a commodity product because moore’s law is dead.

Which is fine with me because I own a house in a city that manufactures semiconductors lol.

Crypto really is egregiously irresponsible; grinding through inconceivable amounts of energy purely doing busy work just to prove that you did “work.” There’s a moral case for banning the technology, though that would obviously be impossible.

:vince: