Tech bros all suck / AI is going to ruin the world containment

The fact that that ever had a billion dollar valuation is proof the markets aren’t and never will be efficient. Sorry not sorry. Even if that idea had blown up to maximum scale it wouldn’t have been worth 10% of that which means every person who invested in it at a valuation north of idk 100k is a fucking moron.

Their business model is getting D-list celebs to do personalized birthday greetings and taking a bit off the top, how the heck was that ever going to be a billion dollar business?

They thought they could get Elon to buy it?

1 Like

Gonna be fun when the Trump family finally resorts to doing Cameo vids.

well, finally found an actual use for AI

shout out to all the dipshits committing their keys in their github repos

1 Like

Man, that movie looks hilarious.

So good

https://x.com/cockjuring/status/1837964641361973438?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

3 Likes

a bunch of new OpenAI departures (and they’re dropping the “nonprofit” charade finally as if anyone still believed that)

Sam Altman is, beyond predictably, a total fucking douche

https://x.com/suebecks/status/1839974209201574284

Hell yeah, consumers definitely want to boil off the oceans to power an AI feature that constantly scours your entire computer.

It was designed to help people find things they had looked at or worked on previously by searching through desktop screenshots taken every few seconds.

Younger Millenials and Zoomers have nfi how file folders work, everything gets dumped into one bin and they need search or I guess AI to retrieve anything.

What is it with these nerds and goggles?

https://x.com/slow_developer/status/1840441784888901810?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

wtf why does he look like a white rapper now???

1 Like

Didn’t watch the video, but from the still, his new hair choice is a massive improvement over what he was doing before.

Chuds like to meme about “I won’t eat the bugs” but a more accurate one would be “I won’t wear the goggles”

Serious answer: they’re all Gen-X nerds who grew up with cyberpunk sci-fi and they’re not smart enough to realize how impractical stuff like that is. And none of their yes-men will ever tell them otherwise.

Mouse, keyboard, and monitor is an amazingly efficient way of using computers, it works extremely well! Phone touch interfaces are a snap too, I can whip my phone out during a commercial break or a walk in the park and buy socks, it’s great. No one wants to put on goggles and walk through a VR clothing store.

Augmented reality glasses have a lot of merit, but primarily for business settings outside the traditional office, I think. Like walking through a manufacturing facility, construction site, etc.

Is that realistically better than photos on a monitor?

I do virtual meetings via Zoom at my work. Honestly, they’re fine as-is, zero added benefit would come from VR technology.

I mean like if you’re walking a construction site and you can put on glasses and see the blueprints overlaying. Or architects seeing multiple potential designs on land they’re developing, with cost estimates. Same type of stuff in a factory. Perhaps for retail floor usage, with sales projections for moving different floor displays around.

The uses I think are most likely are somewhat niche, but could be very valuable. I don’t think they’ll be particularly useful for people sitting at a desk.

Add working AI and glass based AR becomes pretty interesting. For work it means your workspace is wherever you are and you don’t have to worry about people shoulder surfing your company secrets. If you are blue collar you can have plans and manuals with you all the time. For non-work imagine being able to ask your assistant what kind of car that is or where can I get the best price for that product over there? Being able to ask AI to give you information about anything in your field of view is really powerful. It is all a ways away, but it is where everyone is aiming right now.

This right here is where I start to have real questions about how viable AI is. As I understand it the amount of computation what you’re describing would take would be immense. I think we’re several breakthroughs away from being able to have something like that be a mass market product on the AI side.

I don’t see making even a 50 dollar an hour employee 50% more effective in this manner ever penciling out. Not unless we get a whole whole whole lot more efficient about this.

There’s a lot of situations where people are saying AI is going to take a human job… but the humans doing those jobs actually aren’t very expensive. I’ve witnessed first hand the absolute carnage that has happened as companies have tried to outsource already cheap domestic labor for foreign labor. Sometimes it works and they get their already low labor cost lower, but a lot of the time it turns into a total shit show that ends up getting rewound, or does massive harm to the customer experience, etc etc.

We really are reaching the logical end of the game for a certain type of management strategy where you figure out how to do more with less. Everything has diminishing returns and we’ve been pushing that thread since Mitt Romney came of legal drinking age. Now we’re planning to spend more money on energy and ppe than we spent on the military during the war on terror to keep that plan going and automate out some more tasks.

You have to save a lot of labor hours to make spending a trillion dollars make sense (and we’re investing way more than that). I’m not saying AI doesn’t have a role, it for sure does, there are things it’s better at than any human ever could be and it figures those things out pretty cost effectively… but having tried to actually use the stuff that exists now to do work? I’m very unconcerned personally and I think everyone else needs to chill out as well. Make money off these suckers if you can obviously, but that’s what they are.

AI isn’t dumber than crypto. That’s nice. Show me a task that requires a pretty large but fixed knowledge set, that has fixed rules that result in predictable outcomes, that is monumentally repetitive and looks to occupy a bunch of PHD’s for the next two centuries… and I’ll show you the perfect AI project. Busting through every viable one of those is not a trivial thing. We might get to a place where we can straight up design biological organisms at a genetic level like a build a bear workshop for example. AI could get us that. That’s wildly more important than ChatGPT, which I am genuinely unconcerned by. If it costs you vast amounts of energy to do what a human brain can do why wouldn’t you just use the human brain? Writing an email is one of the many things that are actually like this. Especially a good email.

Do you guys remember the internet of things hype saga? Pepperidge Farms remembers. You wanna know how the rush to automate the supply chain went? Less efficiency and billions of dollars in fraud losses. You ever wonder why the supply chain broke into a million pieces when COVID happened? That happened because of the Just In Time Supply Chain (JIT these dipshits love a good acronym) hype saga.

I’m tired boss.jpg

All of this comes down to ‘holy shit if we spread the butter thinner on this bread we can still sell it as buttered bread and the cost savings are pure profit!’^666. That’s the play every time. It worked great the first 10-15 times because there really was a bunch of shit that could be made more efficient, but much like when I compact the trash in my kitchen trash can to avoid taking it out it becomes less efficient with each application. And eventually you find yourself using 15 dollar an hour interns to code safety software on the 737 and using substandard parts to keep the production lines from seizing up. And then you cry about how this was all so unforseen and get bailed out if you’re the size of Boeing, but a lot of organizations just die at that point.

We gotta stop. Personally at this point I’ve done pretty well in my career finding ways to step up a level. ‘Hey this will get twice as good and thus drop costs dramatically if we spend 25% more on this thing’ ends up being a much more valuable line of analysis these days than trying to figure out how to do the opposite.

1 Like