Television & Movies

It will almost certainly win director and pretty much nothing else.

Got any odds on the supporting categories? I assume Kerry Condon has fallen a bit since the Globes and SWG awards. Also have to assume Quan is an overwhelming favorite, maybe higher than Blanchett. Oh, EEAAO should also be a huge Screenplay/writing favorite.

I’m 3 eps into Under the Banner of Heaven and this is pretty good. Garfield is way underrated.

We finally watched this over the last few days, and while it’s great TV, I feel like I don’t connect with its central premise:

By the end, it feels like the main character is actually Libby and the show is really about struggling to move on from all the fantasies of your youth into accepting your comfortable cookie cutter adult life that’s laid out for you. And like…I dunno, is that something a lot of people identify with? I’m near the ages of the people in the show (though no kids yet) and I’m like, yeah, I made peace with that awhile ago. Maybe I just haven’t started my midlife crisis yet?

Well thanks for fully pulling aside my veil of stubborn ignorance! Great article. I’ve been willing myself to ignore all the stupid shit in the show, but really, it’s as bad as GoT season 7 and 8 in many respects. Really dislike lazy writing and crappy world building.

1 Like

Is White Noise any good?

Casting Adam Driver as the guy having a midlife crisis feels like a personal attack.

I watched it this weekend. I enjoyed it, but I had semi-coincidentally just read the book a couple weeks ago, so it’s hard for me to judge the movie on its own merits.

I think if you haven’t read the book, some of the movie might be a little puzzling. It’s kind of an extended musing on the fear of death, both for individuals and at the societal level, told in a whimsical, absurdist, post-modern style.

One thing in particular that might not land well is the dialog – a lot is taken verbatim from the book and can seem rather stiff and stilted in this format. For the most part, though, the actors do a good job with it.

So yeah, I liked it, but I’m into that kind of thing, so YMMV.

1 Like

1 Like

welp there goes rick and morty. fucking christ I hate people. I guess the upside is we no longer have to wait multiple years at a time for him to release like 6 middling episodes for the rest of our natural lives.

by the way I vehemently disagree with this thing that we’re not allowed to enjoy art if it was created by a piece of shit. I’m totally fine with people opting out, but like, Wagner was a rabid anti semite but his work is almost universally agreed as being masterful and has had significant influence on music to this day.

I don’t think there is a wrong answer to whether people should pay attention to pieces of shit just because they are funny or good at whatever job they do. You are free to pay attention to whoever you want. I have more of a problem separating the artist from the art and don’t feel the need to give them any more attention.

I’m much more disappointed that this might mean the end of Solar Opposites.

Rick and Morty peaked a long time ago and it would be fine if there was never another episode of it.

2 Likes

If Books Could Kill basically has to do an episode on The Bell Curve, right? That seems 100% in their wheelhouse.

Aw, they have to do that Sam Harris book too, which I am embarrassed to admit that I was into as a freshman in college. That’s going to be an embarrassing episode for me.

A) there’s a podcast thread, also READING is banned in this thread

B) every time I see a post about the bell curve it takes me a second to figure out what the hell they’re talking about because I always read it as the bell jar the first time.

dude I knew he was way more talented than he gets credit for but holy shit

“There’s this complete disconnect between reality and what happened,” says Michael Imperiale, a virologist at the University of Michigan.

daaaaaamn

I got loads of @McTrollson content today. First, one of his favorite subjects: why does everything look like that now??

And, our next chapter in Rings of Power and all the nitpicks with it. Last week we read part 2 of 3 (on smithing & armor), this week we’ve got part 3 of 4 - yes, we’re at 2 weeks in a row of “shit, there’s so much left to write on this I still can’t fit it all in one final post”. This week: battle tactics of the orcs and Southlanders!

:vince3: these are the takes I live for

3 Likes

Re: that When Harry Met Sally still… I’ve had lunch in Katz’s Deli and sat very close to that exact spot. The place was still basically identical to that shot when I was there in 2015. Absolutely delicious pastrami. :drooling_face:

ETA photographic evidence:

2 Likes

i was there about a month ago, still looks exactly the same

2 Likes

Re: Arondir, it’s fine if he’s bad at his job? We need to normalize characters just not being good at their jobs. Wasn’t he assigned to be a lookout because he was a screwup? No one’s seen an orc in ages, it makes sense that they’re off their game.

Re: movies, for a while I thought I was going nuts because I was the only one seeing it, but more people seem to be noticing that every other movie these days is dicking with color filtering in ways that look incredibly dreary. I don’t know why.

This guy’s clip is the best example of the phenomenon that I’ve seen because you can see side-by-side what the processing does to a movie. The original LOTR looked amazing partly because it was made when this was all new an people were more sparing about color filtering. There are definitely some scenes where it’s clear they’re making a stylistic choice like it’s a night scene or they’re in Rivendell and it’s weird and golden-y everywhere, but mostly the colors look bright and crisp. Just watch the opening scenes in Hobbiton and you notice how it looks colorful and real the way movies used to look.

Also

2 Likes

I’ll add that The Matrix is a great example of color filtering done in an intentional way. All the early scenes look kind of alien and upsetting in a way that’s vague and hard to place. The problem nowadays is that every movie looks like it’s in the matrix.

2 Likes

maybe we’re in the matrix.

1 Like

OK, I need a show and a plan.

Some background. It’s no longer football season, so my control of the TV remote has dropped. Generally, our TV watching is either something we agree on and focus on, or something that’s just sort of on in the background while we dink around on our computers or phones. If MrsWookie is in charge of the latter we get

1. Call Me Cat
  2. Young Sheldon
  3. Office reruns

:face_vomiting:

So, I’m looking for something that might start as the focused show, but that could transition into the background show. I’m not really sure how to get there? Or what it could be? I guess it’d be a comedy, probably more episodic than serial, Any ideas?

1 Like