Television & Movies

Oof

If she is still game for office reruns i would try immediately jumping into Parks and Rec Season 3.

If that doesnt work…well office reruns has to be significantly better than Young fucking Sheldon

1 Like

I don’t totally get it, are we looking for…
a.) a show that you start off watching closely, but lose interest enough so that it becomes the background show, or
b.) a show that you watch while focused, and then you’re like “ok we’re good” so she puts on Young Sheldon?

1 Like

A good divorce lawyer? I kid, I kid. I had to buy a second TV to deal with this issue. My wife won’t watch any TV she unless it’s in a foreign language with subtitles. I bet Young Sheldon might actually be improved by being dubbed in Mandarin.

1 Like

The hope would be that she finds it engaging enough to be the new background show even if I’m feeling like p0asting or video gaming rather than committing to watching something, but we’d probably have to get started with watching it as our main thing to do that night.

Maybe some of the long running sitcoms from back in the day? Friends, Fraser, Cheers, something like that? Supernatural maybe?

current background show here is ER which holds up pretty well IMO. Theme music is the WOAT and I had forgotten they made it somehow even worse in the last season or two, just off the charts awful.

Columbo

2 Likes

would rather light my testicles on fire than watch one single minute of friends.

sex in the city is surprisingly decent and your wife would probably like it.

1 Like

As someone who often has something on in the background while not 100% paying attention to it, you’re in my wheelhouse here! Great background series:

The Office, parks and rec, community, how I met your mother, scrubs, Seinfeld, Schitt’s creek, American dad, 30 rock, new girl, the good place, cheers, Frasier, It’s Always Sunny, King of the Hill, Shark Tank, Letterkenny.

A couple of these don’t work great as background shows if you’ve never seen them before.

You’re The Worst

Reread the rules. Nevermind

Some kind of ‘making stuff’ competition show? For my wife and I, that’s Forged in Fire on History. You’re locked in for the initial challenge and the testing, but if you zone out a bit in the middle, it’s not a big deal.

2 Likes

The Good Wife and its spin-off The Good Fight
Comedic Drama about a law firm with quirky characters that takes cases that often are inspired by real life events. A bit like Boston Legal

Damages
Law drama/thriller show starring Glenn Close as a ruthless litigator who takes on a new protegée (Rose Byrne) whose husband became the victim of a murder that has yet to be solved. Takes the most focus of the three shows I am mentioning here.

How To Get Away With Murder
Starring Viola Davis as a law professor who also practices as a defense attorney and each semester she picks five students as interns. When someone dies, things get messy. Like Damages this show has lots of flashbacks. This isn’t Breaking Bad but good enough to watch while playing around on your phone/tablet.

1 Like

is the good fight more comedic? Because yeah there are some moments in the good wife that are pretty funny (mostly involving alan cumming) but I would never think to describe it as “comedic”. This is splitting hairs I guess, but that’s sort of what these threads are for. In my mind the least comedic show that I would put in the “comedic drama” category is probably something like Northern Exposure and the good wife is decidedly less comedic.

It’s not a hill I am willing to die on but I think it’s a show that doesn’t take itself seriously or pretends to be depicting things that could happen this way in reality. There’s undeniably a comedic element to the show.

See:

The judges, for example:

2 Likes

yeah it definitely has a cheeky bent

1 Like

Not a competition, but my wife often has Nadiya Bakes (Netflix) on in the background and I don’t mind it. The food always looks tasty and she has an infectious personality.

The Last Of Us: Pretty big departure from the game for the Bill & Frank story, in particular making it significantly more uplifting than it was in the game. There’s no reason to think it was a trend until now, but this is the second thing they’ve kinda done that with - in the game Joel & Tommy’s relationship was estranged, in the show so far they make it seem like they’re close and Tommy must be in trouble to not be in contact. I’m now slightly worried this trend will continue…

@skydiver8 thoughts?

TLoU

Just fantastic television imo. They kinda have to flesh out other characters in the universe, since the story in the game isn’t that long. I agree with someone on UP that you need to

Beautifully played and incredibly moving, establishing the series as something more than just another zombie series - and as a distinct entity from the games.

4 Likes

Quick hitter review of Prisoners, a Denis Villeneuve movie on Netflix…

This caught my eye both because of the casting for the main characters (Jake Gyllenhaal and Hugh Jackman) and because I had also just watched Sicario, another Villeneuve movie that I liked quite a bit.

Prisoners ends up being a creepy mystery thriller with some twists and misdirection in there, and also examines some well-traveled but still-interesting ethical/moral territory.

Basically all the pieces of the film are well to extremely well done, with the acting, cinematography/shot selection, and score combining to create this dismal feeling of creeping dread that really stuck with me (to the detriment of my sleep that night). Another note of warning – if you are a parent of small children Prisoners might freak you RTF out.

I also really loved his more recent films, Blade Runner 2049 and Dune, and Prisoners showcases Villeneuve’s skills with a very different type of film. Highly recommend, with the above warnings/caveats.

3 Likes