Television & Movies

I have a ticket for next week. All the reviews say it’s great, really looking forward to it.

I prefer the pace and world building of the first, but it’s very good. Probably worth seeing in IMAX.

I’m going to an alamo draft house with regular screens, so no IMAX for me. But I haven’t been to a movie theater since 2019 so anything bigger and louder than my 55-inch TV will probably look and feel amazing.

Probably a dumb question, but do I need to see the first Dune before seeing Dune 2?

1 Like

I imagine so. Picture watching the LotR movies starting with Return of the King.

2 Likes

Don’t want to spoil myself by trying to look it up, but is there going to be a Dune 3 or are they finished with 2?

I think the original plan was to do 2 movies but they’ve left the door open for a 3rd to complete the arc of the main character.

However, the director has said that even if they move forward with #3, it’s going to take some time because he has some other projects he wants to work on next.

1 Like

Definitely need to see the first one. These are basically just one long movie split in two.

1 Like

I’m planning to rewatch 1 before seeing 2 in order to enhance the continuity of the experience.

I tend to do that a lot, if it’s been a while since watching the previous season of a show, I’ll rewatch that season’s finale just to reset the context and the storylines.

2 Likes

They feel like two very different movies to me.

1 is sci-fi world building. 2 is kind of an action movie.

Finished True Detective S4. It does seem like a different show compared with previous seasons but I thought it was pretty good, not great. I was satisfied with the ending, everything was wrapped up nicely, although I imagine many viewers were upset by the ambiguity of the final scene.

I did keep thinking that Nararro looks like a female Jason Momoa and Peter looks like a male Hilary Swank, maybe with a little Matt Damon from Good Will Hunting mixed in.

2 Likes

Finally watched, and +a million this show looks amazing. I watched the first two episodes separately, and after the first one I felt like it was intriguing but also kinda confusing with all the characters it throws at you quickly, but then once they’ve gotten that out of the way the second episode is perfect and hits every note. Can’t wait to watch more.

3 Likes

Saw The Boys in the Boat this week and it was a nice movie, fun to watch, different than the book, not as much history of the Seattle area, but still fun to watch.

Spicy industry news:

Stephenson says the movie plagiarized his unproduced screenplay “Frisco”, which was known around the industry - it was on a list of the best unproduced screenplays about ten years ago, and the Holdovers director has read it multiple times. The Holdovers is up for Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay (among others) at the Oscars tomorrow. Will be awkward if it wins!

rip to a real one

3 Likes

TV just doesn’t have guys like that anymore. Actors are too healthy and attractive now.

2 Likes

“Civil War” looks very promising.

I saw that it has a bananas lack of politics (in that it doesn’t seek to say anything remotely interesting about the present day world we live in):

From the very first trailer, it seemed like director Alex Garland’s Civil War would be a scathing indictment of something, be it the American Empire in general or more specific concerns like the rising threat of fascism or people who have the privilege to “stay out of politics” even outside of the United States’ borders, but it all seemed a bit murky. The weirdness of the world that Garland had created for the film didn’t help, with California and Texas allied against (and successfully invading) almost the entire midwest and east coast in a new civil war even though that doesn’t make a damn lick of sense, but all Garland had really said—until recently—was that the logistics of the war aren’t really the point and that the film was more about the importance of journalism (Civil War centers on Kirsten Dunst as a reporter documenting the horrors of the war).

So if it’s not America and it’s not guns, what is the movie about? Garland explained that it’s about political divisiveness in general and our insistence on “talking and not listening.” He said there are politicians and people in the media “on both sides of the divide” who are “wonderful” and that “left and right are ideological arguments about how to run a state” and nothing more. He says what we should be doing is trying one, voting it out if it doesn’t work, and then trying the other one. “But we’ve made it into ‘good and bad,’” he said, which made politics a “moral issue,” and he said that’s “fucking idiotic and incredibly dangerous.”

Guy sounds like a moron from this interview. It seems like it’s getting good reviews? idk, weird.

1 Like

I trust A24 but this really feels like a movie where partisanship was the real enemy all along or some bullshit.

The first two Kubrick movies are so underrated.