Television & Movies

I mean of course the Pop Tarts thing was bad, but it had a ton of celeb cameos and makes you chuckle a few times. Not sure what else you’re supposed to expect for 90 minutes about the fictionalized invention of a toaster pastry.

1 Like

3/4 stinking paws for Apes.

Like that the story was “small” and mostly focused. Clearly setting up for something bigger and more global in a sequel.

Why did all of Noa’s clan him get beat up and almost killed before he sang for the eagles. They had the bad guy outnumbered about 100:1 on a freakin ledge. I get they wanted to complete the father to son transition as the Eagle whisperer but that really didn’t make sense.

1 Like

Watching Survivor Finale. Been a fun post merger after awful stuff pre.

Kind of hate this jury. They are making every answer about them, not the players that made it to the final three. Massive interrupting and trying to correct the players and the other jury members.

Ok with either Charlie or Kenzie winning. Will be shocked if Ben gets a vote.

Rewatching sopranos, how did I forget that AJ got Camus-pilled in S2, lol omg

1 Like

new bear S3 trailer just dropped

https://x.com/edsbs/status/1795909154625687958

(haven’t watched it yet I’m on a team spirit zoom)

1 Like

That’s the most stressful trailer I’ve ever seen, I can’t wait

(I’m kinda confused though, like it looks from the trailer kinda like they’re doing “we’re opening a new restaurant” again and…that’s what they did last season? wat)

More like perfecting and evolving the restaurant they opened at the end of last season.

Squeeeee!

2 Likes

Just watched Sicario for the first time

5 Likes

The sequel is worth checking out.

2 Likes

A heads up for those who have Prime Video: they’ve got The Cooler and Owning Mahowny streaming now. Thought either or both would be of interest to this crowd.

1 Like

Thanks, those are both great. I only saw The Cooler once so I need to watch it again. Owning Mahowny is an incredible performance by Hoffman, but I’ve probably seen it 3 or 4 times and it’s pretty damn depressing.

Another gambling movie I saw recently was The Card Counter (Oscar Isaac, Tiffany Haddish, directed by Paul Schrader). Despite the name, it’s more of a poker movie, although it does start out with a bit of blackjack including an explanation of basic card counting. Isaac is always good and I especially enjoyed Haddish in a dramatic role. Two thumbs up.

1 Like

took me a minute to realize this wasn’t a story about brick and mortar VHS rental from 20 years ago

4 Likes

But seriously though I’ve seen my last Marvel movie. We’re at some adjective beyond boredom here. Same with all but the absolutely best reviewed star wars stuff.

Looks promising, will check out.

Also, I should have mentioned California Split is also on Prime. I’ve never actually watched the whole thing, but the intro poker scene is a classic. It’s amazing how poker table culture has stayed the same for decades.

California Split didn’t really hold up for me. Mississippi Grind did it better 40 years later.

The movie selection on Prime video is usually pretty unimpressive (especially for recent releases), but currently they have:

• The Holdovers
  • American Fiction
  • Asteroid City
  • Oppenheimer

Haven’t seen Oppenheimer yet, others all exceeded expectations.

2 Likes

If you’re a fan of the Swedish band Ghost, their new concert film Rite Here, Rite Now is worth seeing on the big screen (this weekend only).

Yes I was the oldest person in the audience, fuck off.

Hit Man is a fun, actually good Netflix movie. Loosely inspired by a real guy, follows a mild-mannered university professor with a side gig of going undercover as a fake hit man so cops can arrest would-be murder for hire clients. My wife and I both really liked it. Directed by Richard Linklater.

1 Like