Television & Movies

Don’t forget Arrival!

1 Like

Yeah, Arrival slots in there right between Sicario and BR2049. Another good film that’s on my “watch again at some point” list.

While I’m recommending stuff, the story Arrival is based on was written by Ted Chiang. I read it a while back in a collection of his stories called Stories of Your Life and Others.

I really enjoyed these stories – many of them had me going “wow” over how imaginative and thought-provoking they were. If you are into sci-fi and writing that borders on experimental at times, this could be a good read for you.

3 Likes

I think the Bill and Frank story in the show is SO much better than the game, and in the end it serves the exact same purpose toward the overall story. The end point of them still getting the truck and Joel learning a lesson about reclaiming his humanity is the same. They just decided to make Bill a good example instead of a cautionary tale. Also, the majority of the Bill stuff in the game is actual gameplay, which is hard to put on screen. Why not use the different medium (where we can leave Joel’s perspective for a while, which you absolutely cannot do in the game) to give the audience and Joel a reason to actually continue the journey?

Also, I think they might have wanted to “fix” something that might be considered fridging nowadays. Knowing what’s coming, I’m not entirely sure there’s much more they can make “uplifting,” tbh.

3 Likes

Heyyyyyy some call that MCU analysis the video that made Patrick famous. The rest of his channel is just as good.

The future of television is really disturbing…

I just tuned in, it’s only funny because it’s so bad.

1 Like

The Dropout (Hulu, miniseries about Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos starring Amanda Seyfried and Naveen Andrews): A++, great show, amazing cast (possibly a record for “omg it’s that guy from that thing”, including a ITYSL sighting), and an incredible story that would sound too batshit to be real except, yeah, that all happened, there really was a $10 billion tech company that was actually just a giant fraud and fooled giants of American academia and technology and politics into buying the grift.

I feel like I should keep up the theme and do WeCrashed next.

1 Like

Someone already did wework.

Anyone seen this movie?

It was listed in the weekly Kanopy “Films to watch this weekend” email and when I saw it I was just like, “What in the world?” Warner Herzog is an executive producer, which might explain something, I dunno.

P.S. If you like free stuff (I do), Kanopy is a service that public libraries can partner with to offer movie and show streaming. They have a pretty sizeable catalog with a lot of cruft but some good stuff as well. If you’re interested, it’s worth finding out if your local library participates and getting signed up.

2 Likes

That movie is a tough watch.

Yeah, i thought it might be. Long too.

4 episodes into Willow

More about tone so I don’t think tags are needed.

Enjoying the nostalgia, not sure how I feel about the storyline. Pales compared to the Rings series.

Sometime like and sometimes hate the mixing in of modern phrases. Probably it’s batting a bit below .500 for me.

It’s trying to strike a tone of irreverence or of being in on the joke (like the movie) but it’s something damn hard to pull off. Here the misses verge on camp and I don’t know if it’s the execution or just that we are much more aware as an audience.

What I am really enjoying are the end credit covers. I didn’t notice that much for the first two episodes so I’ll need to go back.

1 Like

Highly recommend watching John Oliver’s short web video that eviscerate’s 1997’s air bud. not sure I’ve laughed so hard in a while.

I really really enjoyed Banshees but I have to admit I am a bit surprised it is 2nd favorite to win BP.

I have been watching through “Age of Tanks” on Netflix which is a 4 part documentary about the invention and evolution of tanks through the last 110 years or so and it’s pretty interesting imo. Can’t say I ever realized what we think of as tanks were created almost entirely because of trench warfare in WW1 and that they basically didn’t exist prior to that but it makes sense. Also some of the early tanks are comically awful.

1 Like

It really is amazing how quickly AI always seems to make the jump to hate speech.

1 Like

Can’t keep meat comics from being transphobic either lol.

When’s the AI Seinfeld Netflix special

Watching the first 2 seasons of Twin Peaks, old tyme pacing is really distracting at first. What a weird show that was, its weirdness would still be weird today. Cell phones would have solved a lot of the problems in the show though…

3 Likes

Cell phones only make the problems worse in S3.

1 Like

Perhaps my favorite season of any tv show ever.