The Presidency of Not So Jacked Up Joe Biden: We Beat Medicare!

The median household income to house ratio is at an all time high of 7.56x with interest rates roughly double what they were three years ago. Renters also got crushed.

Look at this data and notice that the growth in median income was smaller than the growth in average expenses. Then realize that half of the people must be doing worse than median.

Let me give you a list of the occupations that I know for sure have it worse now than they did before COVID: Nurses, teachers, truck drivers (especially owner operators a sizable % of whom have gone busto), anyone who works in anything related in any way to faang, government employees generally, and academics (especially those at the bottom). Telling anyone from any of those groups that the economy is great is going to make them want to punch you in the nose. Not that that ever stopped you, but you also arenā€™t qualified to give Joe Biden political advice.

The point is that while the aggregate economic data paints one picture the results have been spread extremely unevenly with the vast majority going to a select group of winners (that this time includes factory workers and fast food/retail workers thank goodness).

This is why I really detest using macro economic data for this type of conversation. The more you learn about what macro economic data is actually made of the less you trust it. Let me give you an example. Look at a chart of US Manufacturing output like this one. The line goes up which strongly suggests that while manufacturing as a share of GDP is going down manufacturing as a sector is basically healthy. Thatā€™s wildly inaccurate because it hides the real storyā€¦ which is that a large and growing percentage of that total number during the time period on this graph was semiconductors. Semiconductors are WILDLY valuable which means that a very small number of actual jobs are created per dollar in salesā€¦ so this graph presents a period in which it wasnā€™t cost effective to manufacture anything that wasnā€™t so heavy/cheap that shipping it was impractical, or so technologically advanced that labor cost wasnā€™t a meaningful input as totally fineā€¦ when the lived experience in manufacturing was wall to wall plant closures and outsourcing.

Iā€™ve seen this too many times to take top line figures seriously. Weā€™re a little more honest than the Chinese in that we donā€™t entirely falsify the numbers, but the data we collect is a choice and a lot of those choices were intentionally made at think tanks funded by extremely rich libertarians who hate unions and view labor as an input material to be cost minimized.

2 Likes

Wanting Biden to run on ā€œfuck your feelingsā€ is boldstrategycotton.gif.

2 Likes

Or vibes lag, and are on their way up. Vibes are also manipulatable by messaging. We should do that too.

1 Like

And yes I do think 2024 is likely to be the best year economically since Biden was elected, because I think Biden got the one thing done legislatively he neededā€¦ a huge multi year public works project that would take a couple of years to get goingā€¦ passed in November 2021.

Heā€™ll start crowing about the economy when the real economy is actually good. Right now it isnā€™t, but thankfully the worst is probably behind us already. Four rate cuts incoming for this year + a bunch of fiscal stimulus is why I think that.

Itā€™s not a good idea to talk about how great the economy is when the people who have had a terrible time are comprised of: All truck drivers, all nurses, all teachers, all renters, all government employees generally, and anyone who got a smaller raise than their personal rate of inflation which got higher the lower you went on the socioeconomic scale. When I was poor I was spending 85-90% of what I made on food + gas + housing. Gas is cheap right now at least because the other two holy shit are they up more than the official inflation rate.

I work with these people theyā€™re doing great.

You live in California the only state in the country that Iā€™m aware of with mandated staffing ratios. Everywhere else itā€™s been nothing but pure unmitigated hell. My advice to anyone dumb enough to be in Nursing school in 2023 is to move to CA immediately on graduation.

Also as the husband of a nurse doctors perceptions of nurses arenā€™t worth a whole lot. You guys donā€™t even share a break room with the nurses here in Texas.

Iā€™ve worked all over the nation man and keep in contact with people from NY, where there are no ratios. Itā€™s just not true. You canā€™t pull the ā€˜I know peopleā€™ thing on me on this one. I know these people better than you. I went to their weddings. I did the covid disaster with them.

Dude Iā€™m married to a nurse. She didnā€™t make up every interaction with doctors ever (not all negative, but a lot of them were). Maybe ER nurses get treated better than average, but from what Iā€™ve seen the wages have always been absolutely garbage vs the standard of living, the job is brutal, and the patient ratios get worse every single year. My wife makes about 5 bucks an hour more than she did when COVID started. That doesnā€™t cover inflation.

Honestly few things have made me as happy as being able to provide well enough that the number of shifts she has to put in has dropped massively. Fuck the entire healthcare system I hope it burns down tomorrow.

Also (2020 data) CA is the #1 state for nurse pay vs cost of living and NY is middle of the pack. This might be a situation where the variance in our anecdotes actually could be explained by economic data. Yup just checked KY is #44 out of 50 and Texas was #11 but the pay has barely budged since 2020 here and the staffing ratios got entirely fucked beyond recognition. Really annoying because at least part of why we moved here was to improve my wifeā€™s work situation and avoid state income tax for me.

To be clear when my wife started her career over ten years back she was slammed with max 25 long term care and or rehab patients under her care. Today itā€™s 35-50 at a memory care facility sheā€™s working PRN for after entirely burning out as the ADON.

Actually you know what? Iā€™ll change what I said. Instead of saying all nurses Iā€™ll say everyone who works in anything geriatric. Thatā€™s a tiny slice of the overall job market right? The CNAā€™s make less than fast food and retail now by the way.

Not at the bottom, but I do work in scientific research for a university, so Iā€™d put myself in this category and yeah wages are not even close to keeping pace with inflation. I do have a house that was refinanced to 2.5% a few years back when interest rates got that low, so Iā€™m thankfully insulated from the housing runup. But I feel for those that are still renting.

Also, these past 3 years have been the worst job market years ever for me personally. I had far more opportunities even in the early 2010s than now.

1 Like

I think healthcare currently running into a situation where about to discover that paying people more and more actually doesnā€™t by itself make them not miserable at work

It would be nice if they started by trying out paying people more and more. I havenā€™t seen that happen in Austin, TX which is why they somehow managed to get a nursing strike in Texas. Any scenario where you manage to unionize much less strike in Texas is 10,000,000,000% guaranteed to be a complete and utter nightmare work environment.

lol wut, heā€™s fucking ratings gold

vibes are how people vote

Does anyone here think the economy today, or even during peak inflation of 2022, is worse than 2008? Because, like, how in the hell is consumer sentiment worse in 2022 than in 2008? Thatā€™s pretty good evidence that consumer sentiment is, at the very least, not a terribly great objective measure of the state of the economy.

2 Likes

Iā€™d think that low # of year trends capture relative sentiment. But yeah 75 today could have nothing to do with 75 15 years ago.

But then why should the difference between Jan 2020 and the 2022 inflation crisis be larger than the difference between Jan 2006 and the 2008 financial collapse? I donā€™t think anyone who was ~18+ yo at 2008 would say things are worse today than back then. The only thing I can think of is that people think it should be better than it is, while in 2008 we were thankful it wasnā€™t any worse than it seems.

What I think of when I come across one of Boredsocialā€™s testaments to his self-professed brilliance:

sddefault

Upper middle class people (so basically all Dems in power) simply prefer to stick their fingers in their ears, which not coincidentally is exactly what benefits their donors. Companies fucking love low wages and no benefits, keeps people desperate.

Literally, just go talk to anyone making less than 60k a year. They arenā€™t just struggling, theyā€™re desperate. Weā€™ve got some in this thread!

2 Likes

Yep. ā€œReal wagesā€ are slightly up vs 2019 but the basket of goods is not even close to an accurate depiction of inflation for people who donā€™t own homes at decent interest rates and/or are in the bottom 50%. Housing, groceries, and utilities to a lesser extent outpaced inflation significantly. And for those with kids, childcare expenses are wild around here and I assume most places.

But it works great for rich people to point to the data and tell the rest of us, ā€œsuck it up, buttercup, the economy is great!ā€

Like, my parents have a house thatā€™s about 50% bigger than our townhouse with a significantly bigger yard. Their mortgage payment is about 35% of our rent. Our health insurance is about 85% of their mortgage, and our deductible is like $16K so everything is basically out of pocket. But as I understand it, their housing cost (and other homeowners) have about 5x as much influence on CPI as rents do. And overall I think housing is like 28-30% of CPI. Our rent is 38% of our monthly budget, and we have a deal thatā€™s about 25% below the market rent.

Weā€™ll likely be relocating to an apartment soon to try to save money. Weā€™ll end up spending about 20% less for about half as much space, so thatā€™s going to be awesome. We would do it now but we know we have to move again soon regardless and we donā€™t want to move twice in six months. 90% of our groceries come from Costco or Aldi.

Iā€™m working 280 hours a month, commuting 30-40, plus a side hustle. My wife is in school/clinicals, plus two part time jobs, plus a side hustle. Weā€™ll probably spend like 4-6 waking hours per month together between now and June. But please, please tell me more about the data saying Iā€™m actually doing great, CN! Glad youā€™re doing well but stop acting like those of us who arenā€™t are just too stupid to realize how great the economy is. Itā€™s fucking insult to injury.

1 Like

Saw something that said economic sentiment determined politics then but now political group determines economics sentiment.

In a word polarization.