The Presidency of Not So Jacked Up Joe Biden: We Beat Medicare!

I can’t find the tweet that pointed this out but Pete’s tenure has been a series of catastrophic transportation disasters caused by deregulation, and after each one he gives a presser about “they will be held accountable” while doing Jack fucking shit because he’s a corrupt McKinsey-alum douchebag who is bought and paid for by scumbags.

2 Likes

If epa orders something and the railroad doesn’t respond in a timely manner, the epa does it themselves and bills 3x.

nah it’s a genius trap, it’s going to spring any minute now

1 Like

I mean, “clean up the cancerous disaster you caused” is table stakes here.

Gotta be at least even money that they don’t end up paying even close to the full cost of cleanup, damages, and medical bills. I think they’re a big favorite to avoid paying that full amount.

1 Like

You can’t expect the railroad company to pay for all the people who merely died with cancerous disaster as opposed to from cancerous disaster.

2 Likes

100%

What damage? What is fine. Air is fine. Those animals died from with vinyl chloride not from it.

Legal nit: Congress makes laws, not regulations. Administrative agencies (like DOT) make regulations to enforce the laws they administer.

1 Like

Trains lack of regs is ridiculous. The Amtrak derail a few years ago was related to an automatic speed regulation not enacted because loltrainlobby.

1 Like

Let’s talk about civics education in this country

1 Like

pete is a fucking corporate stooge but he’s pretty good at dunking and way better at twitter than any of these dipshits

3 Likes

I get that you probably met Mayor Pete, and he’s probably a really nice guy, but he’s a corporate shill centrist dem. At some point you have to admit this guy cares more about pleasing his rich donors for a future presidential run than he does serving the general public.

2 Likes

The obvious counterpoint is that a demand for purity and a rejection of existing power structures is a concession to lose every single election and to never have power. If you have a plan for achieving power that involves none of working with already powerful people, violent revolution, or expecting that majorities if not supermajorities of people agree with every line item or else get castigated as heretical, I’d like to hear it, but I am pretty skeptical.

3 Likes

countercounterpoint: trump

1 Like

Trump absolutely did not demand purity, only fealty. Remember him proposing Medicare for All to powerful Republicans because he knew it’d be popular?

1 Like

Surely there is a tenable position somewhere in between a demand for purity and rejection of existing power structures and letting corporations write all the regulations and then shrugging and sticking to the standard “we’ll hold them accountable” (which we all know is bullshit) and “we’ll have to take a look at that” (about changing regulations) playbook when massive industrial disasters happen.

Is your position that in order to hold power, we just have to write off any consideration of regulating corporations more than they currently are?

No, I think it’s stupid to reflexively kick people like Pete and Skydiver out of the tent for being “too corporate,” even when the subject is not corporate power.

I’m not talking about kicking people out of the tent. I’m talking about criticizing Buttigieg. But, how is the subject not corporate power? Didn’t this stem from a discussion over his response to the train derailment?

I’m not the one acting like Republicans in this fight.