The Presidency of Not So Jacked Up Joe Biden: We Beat Medicare!

It is helpful to remember that Twitter is a very small bubble and not representative of the public as a whole.

idk, I feel like the post-left Dirtbag weirdos are much less of a factor then they were in 2016. On the other hand, the situation in Palestine is killing his appeal to the youth vote.

More of Biden quietly doing good things

https://x.com/khushitavasant/status/1796609138404811136?s=46&t=N0_fcOKIYYmlCS2e4YShsQ

1 Like

This is extremely important for a lot of people, and if they go hard on this that would be great.

I mean if you want to get inflation down this is how you do it in 2024 not by raising interest rates. It’s not an interest rate problem it’s a market power problem brought on by too much consolidation. Send the poultry/egg/rental guys to federal prison IMO.

2 Likes

:coolbiden:

1 Like

Honestly if you wanted to bring down inflation considerably tomorrow you would pass a bill creating a fairly large law enforcement agency with the power to investigate and prosecute any federal crime whose mission is only to watch the 0.1% and make sure they get punished every single time they break federal laws. That will never ever happen obviously, but it absolutely would cause absolutely wild market adjustments. There are a couple of industries that would probably just turn off the lights immediately.

I have absolutely no sympathy for the businesses whose secret ingredient is crime in 2024. To say that it’s gotten out of hand is a massive understatement. Boeing is whacking whistleblowers ffs.

There’s a level of wealthy where I would be fine with amending your right to privacy at the constitutional level. We are letting these people have so much power that the public interest in knowing they aren’t doing something evil every second of every day is higher than they have a right to personal anything.

Billionaires shouldn’t be a thing basically.

1 Like

White collar crime laws are basically voluntary compliance right now. If you happen to get caught, you just drag it out forever and eventually pay a fraction of what you would have paid if you didn’t cheat in the first place. Total joke.

I guarantee you audit basically any S-Corporation, LLC, partnership, etc. with over $50 million in revenue you’re going to find epic amounts of bullshit. Every car dealer in the country runs substantially all personal expenses through their business, everyone knows it, nothing is done. Horseshit.

3 Likes

:coolbiden:

https://x.com/bidenswins/status/1797668724008489005?s=46&t=mdG4vqCfpbP4Xp4esdQ98A

Is this account parody? Or does the person running it just have total fucking brainworms where if Biden does it, it is therefore a Win?

The latter

Decent quick thread on this

https://x.com/juddlegum/status/1797977326589727190?s=46&t=ECIc-ET7JxxiLXr8SgrQ7Q

1 Like

Yeah this is the kind of shit that’s contributing to screwing over the renting class and keeping them stuck as renters. Rent prices are not actually responding to free market forces.

This collusion as outlined is a problem, but the larger problem remains the artificial scarcity of housing propped up by local governments and NIMBYs

Austin is doing great because of changes they made to up scaling and approving of actual building

Well, that and everyone leaving because prices are too damn high…

Pretty sure we already dispelled this myth. Austin is doing great relative to other places, and there is reason to believe the trend will continue and it will actually be doing well… but still doing poorly relative to housing prices pre-COVID for the working class, housing still kept pace with overall inflation which was very high, etc. At least as of when we argued about this a month or two ago.

and…

This also is like, not great. Part is that the prices got too high, part is also probably because the appeal of the area went away somewhat when so many people moved there at once.

Austin is a really interesting case study in housing costs/policy, but also a unique situation given what went on with tech jobs there.

1 Like

fyp

1 Like

https://www.wsj.com/economy/housing/once-americas-hottest-housing-market-austin-is-running-in-reverse-94226027

https://www.costar.com/article/1733116465/population-growth-remains-strong-in-austin-texas

To sum up:

1. People are, in fact, not leaving austin. There’s been a small decrease in travis county (~2500)
  2. Housing, both rent and buying, are down.
  3. People leaving would be responding to market forces

Housing responds to market forces, but you have to let market forces actually react. If all you do is subsidize demand, prices will continue to skyrocket. To appropriately address housing, you have to increase density and new construction.

We already did this, pretty sure you posted the exact same chart or a similar one, and I ran it against inflation and showed that even after the drop it matched overall inflation from 2020 to 2023 or whenever the chart ended.

Again, building is good, increased density of housing is good, I’m not arguing against that.

Also going from +30K people a year (avg 2010-present) to -2500 is not nothing, especially when a lot of housing is being built projecting continued increases.

Also regarding market forces, I told you previously it doesn’t respond in reality - and now we’re seeing an investigation into price fixing to deny market forces on possibly/probably a national scale.

While I’d love for this type of collusion to be the cause of widespread rental issues, it simply isn’t. The underlying forces of nimby-ism and collusion through government limitation on building is orders of magnitudes larger.

Austin’s market has continued to become more renter and housing friendly, with literal negative drops in cost. Again, if austin’s rental market kept up exactly with inflation, they would be massively outperforming the rest of the country.

Please look at the actual numbers presented. Rent isn’t not keeping up with inflation, it’s currently dropping at ~10% in one year. That isn’t being caused by a 0.2% population drop. You never actually properly looked into the Austin market at all.

can someone explain how evidence from hunter’s laptop is admissible? the chain of custody on this thing has huge gaps and we know it was in rudy’s possession for some period of time, right? the whole thing has to be completely contaminated