The Supreme Court: Clarence & Ginni Thomas Jet Set Edition

By the way, there’s 1.1 million new voters. Maybe he also gives it to all the undocumented immigrants who have been here at least 5 years?

Might be his best path to victory lol…

You didn’t know about this? Yeah they weren’t joking.

Nixon’s been dragged for 50 years for saying “If the president does it, that means that it is not illegal” but it turns out that sweaty bastard was right all along.

2 Likes

Where should Richard Nixon go for his apology?

1 Like

Went to Museum of American Revolution today. How the hell Roberts et al think any of what they just ruled on immunity is consistent with the founding principles is beyond me. Fucking traitors.

This is a judicial coup by the fed society with an unexpected huge bump from Donnie.

The worst president ever has put 1/3 of the court on that will last 40 years.

1 Like

They don’t and they don’t care.

1 Like

I’ve seen discussion on Twitter and other forums about why people aren’t protesting the immunity ruling or the coming fascism, and comparisons to other countries with vibrant protests.

The main difference imo is the labor rights and social safety net. A significant portion of the American population is one missed paycheck away from financial ruin, at best a few paychecks away from having very real questions about food and housing.

They work too much, have too little free time, and have little/no protection from getting shitcanned for calling in sick to go protest the SCOTUS their boss/boss’s boss/etc absolutely loves.

There’s a bit of a prisoner’s dilemma situation, and everyone is trying to do the safest thing for themselves.

This, by the way, is why there were bigger protests in 2020. People were already at home all day, and didn’t have to call in sick or get a day off.

2 Likes

Not really, the viral stats about how x% of America lives paycheck to paycheck are almost all bullshit.

Americans just don’t care that much. And a big chunk of the people who do protest are fucking morons who only protest people they feel safe protesting instead of the true villains in our society.

I guess I’m one to talk, I’m not protesting shit

You actually doubt this is an issue? Please point to the correct stats.

Protesting has a lot more value than simply meeting the worst people at the point of attack.

Protesting doesn’t work here, the people in charge don’t give a fuck and are happy to use violence if necessary.

The core issue is people are just total fucking morons. Life is going to get much worse for a lot of people who vote for this shit.

I think people don’t protest it because the vast majority of people have no idea what it means or care about it. It’s a combination of terrible media ecosystem and a terrible education system in this country.

Also this. What was the recent stat? That something like 10 percent of people responding to a survey blamed Roe v. Wade going away on Biden because it happened while he was president?

Like most Trump voters just think he will only stop abortions for minorities. And obviously the median Trump voter will get crushed economically.

The crazy part to me is allegedly smart business dudes who think they can corral this. My entire adult life has been republicans wrecking the economy and democrats fixing it. It will be much worse than that this time, they’ll just go full mafia shakedown mode.

The number of times I’ve heard older business people who definitely vote Republican refer to the GOP as the ‘pro business’ party is pretty crazy to me. I personally make the most money when the economy is going great, and so do they. They aren’t billionaires who earn most of their money through owning shares of imaginary futures valued at 50x earnings… they own stuff like medium sized trucking companies that are 100% main lining the general main street macro economy and valued at 4x cash flow at best lol.

There is zero question that the Democrats have been massively better for these people over the last 40 years. They wouldn’t even own vacation homes if it hadn’t been for Bill Clinton’s economy and Barrack Obama’s economy. The ending of Bush 2 was a near death experience for literally all of them and Trump’s policies are why they’re getting fucked hard now too.

All they can see at the end of the year is their tax bill which is a very myopic way to think about the vendor that maintains the roads when you’re in the trucking business.

This is the part I have trouble wrapping my head around too. A second Trump term introduces a lot of economic uncertainty (huge tariffs, mass deportations, destruction of administrative state). I can see how this is might be generally appealing to people with nothing to lose, but not so much to people that have already won the game.

It would be helpful to have a candidate who could make these arguments coherently on the national stage.

The powerful never think the system will break, left to their own devices they will always take more and more until people get the guillotines out.

Would it though? People are dumb as fuck. I guarantee you a lot of “undecideds” would still say the economy and market were better under Trump and/or because of his policies.

Plenty of people are dumb as fuck, but at least some of the allegedly smart business dudes would realize that the tariffs and mass deportations are going to be problematic for them.

He’s in the Times! And he’s very good (gift link):

https://x.com/jaywillis/status/1810720342882828778

Gift link

For any current justice who aspires to win back hearts and minds, one or more new colleagues who comport themselves like robed right-wing YouTubers would not be helpful.