The Supreme Court: Clarence & Ginni Thomas Jet Set Edition

IIRC, even gifts over 18K aren’t taxable if you just count them towards your estate tax limit. Or something like that. I’m pretty fuzzy on this stuff and have to look it up every time.

I’ll admit that’s beyond my expertise.

I thought it was that gifts over $18K aren’t taxable as long as the recipient in question files the necessary IRS form, which is a Form 709-LOLFU and verifies their status as a prominent Republican.

2 Likes

Joking aside, I’m pretty sure there is a form the giver can file that makes it non-taxable (i.e., just adds it to your lifetime exclusion).

I think trying to go at Clarence like Capone and get him for the tax evasion is hopeless here, because he is not guilty of that in this case (I think). The problem is that he is taking bribes.

Trying to get Clarence in actual trouble for anything is hopeless. The only way you can actually (somewhat) remove him from power is packing the court, but calling attention to all of this stuff reduces the likelihood of that in the future.

Essentially the pitch is, “Hey this asshole taking bribes and this jerkoff flying an insurrection flag took away your abortion rights and said Donald Trump is a king, and we think that the founding fathers would throw them in the Boston Harbor with the tea so we’re adding 6 seats to SCOTUS so their votes are basically worthless now.”

We’re a long ways away from that being in the Overton Window but this is an early step in that direction.

1 Like

I find it genuinely hilarious there are still shitlib Lawbros doing straight faced legal analysis of obvious Republican crimes.

Maybe this why Trump wants to make tips tax free? Not a gift, not a forgiven loan, just a tip for service and no taxes for anyone!

1 Like

The no tax on tips idea is wild when you take it to its natural conclusion. The only people paying taxes will be government employees. All private commerce will become gratuity-based.

fixed

1 Like

“I don’t want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.” - Grover Norquist

this bouzy guy is getting more and more unhinged, but this caught my eye

https://x.com/cbouzy/status/1811108511327072565

I was like, oh really? what’s this? the fact that bouzy just refers to it and doesn’t actually supply any links or anything basically tells me it’s 99% likely to be baloney

https://x.com/jimstewartson/status/1811117373140914455

this guy here apparently didn’t even look at the image he included, yes I am sure the SVR showed clarence that they had the goods on his wife’s insurrection activities when they met him in … (squints at screen) 2003.

Grover- I’d like to be there when he has a heart attack and then turn the ambulance away. Sorry dude. Those guys only exist to do to taxation. I won’t let you dishonor yourself by having them treat you. Good luck. See ya later in hell, alligator.

1 Like

wut

I would guess the majority of ambulances are corporate, not municipal, probably 90%

I have no idea the stats but I would be pretty surprised if that were true for the take you to hospital type of ambulances? Thought the private ones mostly transported people to dialysis or between rehab hospitals or whatever. Makes me curious

—-

This the AI answer who knows if true

In 2020, 37 percent of emergency ground ambulance rides were provided through local fire departments, 25 percent through other government agencies, 30 percent through private companies, and 8 percent through hospitals

Small town Iowa? That’s coming out of your taxes. Heart attack you need the paramedics.

This is about what I would’ve guessed IME

Nah mostly public for the people who do pick ups off the street. It’s mostly private for transfers. This is highly location dependent. Westchester, for example, was mostly private. NYC though was almost all NYFD

This is why I sometimes listen to the MSNBC Prosecuting Trump podcast, just two lawbros going on for hours and hours about legal stuff that will get tossed out and will never ever matter.

Podcast CPM’s are in the 10-30$ range. At this point I’m done pretending like these people aren’t just making copium for the ad money so that delusional pro establishment people can pretend like stuff matters and next week will be when the cavalry finally arrives.

I did that once and it was because Trump was about to not be President anymore and had just tried to carry out a coup on national TV. I thought Trump would bolt for Russia because the guys in windbreakers would grab him within a day of not being president anymore. That didn’t happen because the people who matter in this country care more about their impunity being real impunity than they do about it being a bad idea to try to overthrow the government. Once you know that you know what you need to know and these podcasts lose all of their appeal.

I’ll listen to the legal podcasts the day after he gets consequences in an attempt to understand how this super shocking event took place. Until then, other than 5-4 who have been very clear that this shit is bananas and fully corrupt, I won’t be listening to any lawyers opine about what the legal precedent is and how much trouble insert untouchable powerful person here is.

Serwer on how the hubris of the Roberts court, and the power they’ve granted to themselves to decide which presidents do and don’t get immunity, will probably not go how they think (gift link):