2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

Not going to lie I thought remembered reading Jimmy Carter had already died

i could be off on the precise terminology and stuff but having seen too many people go through this i think “hospice” care just means the person has decided they’re not going to try to prolong their life further and are going into full time palliative care. you can technically be dying for a very long time. my grandpa was given 6 months with pancreatic cancer and made it 5 years. i think people cling on to life far longer than they should in our current medical system and they’re heavily incentivized to run up the bill.

Yes, you’re right, it’s when they just go to palliative care. It’s just that, in my experience, people don’t give up and go on palliative care until they’re about to die. YMMV obviously, that’s just my personal experience with family and friends who have gone on it.

Hospice and palliative care two separate but related terms.

Palliative care relates to specialized care to relieve pain and symptoms related to a serious medical condition. Technically it doesn’t have to be a terminal condition although often is.

Hospice care (as defined by US government) requires an expectation of 6 month or less survival. Obviously nobody has a crystal ball.

1 Like

they’re of course separate but i think you’re thinking of hospice in terms of what insurance/hospital billing defines it as and not what it’s meant for a very long time:

there’s no need for it to be 6 months

not trying to nitpick i just violently protest the current medical system’s refusal to allow people to die gracefully and on their own terms, the fact “hospice” can only mean “6 months or less” is the entire problem to me.

Yeah I thought my parentheses made it pretty clear that the time frame is an arbitrary US government policy decision. But that being said if a article states someone in the US has entered hospice care it probably 99.9999% means hospice care as defined by US government so safe to assume a medical professional has attested they have a 6 month life expectancy.

I have yet to not sign a hospice order put in front of me

This is 100% right.

Also I never care and have zero training or access to data to prognosticate on that.

Patients who want hospice usually just want services at home getting their pain meds and staying clean in the last days/months of their life. I’ll approve it for anyone who wants it honestly

Most people don’t stay on hospice care as long as Carter, the man is made of adamantium or something.

RIP to a real one, I guess.

1 Like

TIL that pneumatic glue guns exist. This s.o.b. is “capable of dispensing up to 7.5 pounds of adhesive per hour.” :vince3: Not only that, but " the speedloader magazine holds 12 1x3" sticks for easy dispensing." :vince4:

1 Like

Oh man you could make real-life Spider-Man web shooters using that technology.

Y’all have never used a glue gun before have you? It isn’t the same thing as holding down the guard on a nail gun…

i swear when you’re waiting for some result in a few days time comes to a stop

1 Like
1 Like
3 Likes

Wife brought home what I assume is a seasonal item from Trader Joe’s. Danish Kringle from some place in Wisconsin, never had before and this is an elite breakfast pastry imo

3 Likes

That’s a Wisconsin delicacy right there.

Yeah this shit is legit