2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

Yeah, it’s good stuff.

If you’re in the mood for more, this guy is solid:

Pretty funny article on the state of the future Las Vegas Athletics:

Their lease at Oakland Coliseum expires at the end of this year, the stadium they’re proposing in Las Vegas won’t be ready until 2028, and it sounds like no one actually knows where they’re going to play baseball after this year? And the City of Oakland is in total zero-fucks-given, not-our-problem territory about them:

There is more than one complication, here. There is the matter of Fisher having completely and forever burned his ties to the team’s longtime home city. The office of Oakland mayor Sheng Thao recently torched Fisher when asked by the Review-Journal whether her city would consider extending the team’s lease to cover the looming three-year gap. "To my great shock, the A’s have once again failed to provide anyone in Oakland clarity on their genius business plans,” wrote mayoral chief-of-staff Leigh Hanson. "Luckily we make more money with one exhibition soccer game at the Coliseum than we do throughout the entire A’s season. So they won’t be missed.”

They might be the Sacramento A’s for a few years in the interim, but that would hilariously let the local Comcast sports station out of their TV rights deal which only applies as long as the A’s play in the Bay Area and probably end up costing the team a lot of money.

2 Likes

Played again today with borrowed stuff, had a great time. Any recs on buying a paddle? Guy at work says I should go ahead and just spent like 100-150 to get something high quality that I will stick with which is fine with me. Think he said uses a (?) temper tantrum or something similar to that

1 Like

And one should understand that Im mostly playing at shouting at clouds. Well except for the incredibly poor etiquette I’ve seen at local courts.

1 Like

Awesome, glad you’re having fun! I’ll send you a pm when I get on my computer with some good options.

@McTrollson

Prions are the WOAT.

1 Like

The lesson here is never ever ever eat Venison or any other game animal. Seriously.

I don’t eat it either but the psychology of this decision kinda amusing in the context of it never having infected a human. Feels like there not many other activities I avoid based on a hypothetical risk that has never actually killed a person but despite that still feel it’s a relatively easy decision not to eat venison mostly bc just not a relevant meat for me in the first place

If it ever jumps, the morons will say CWD is cowid-24 or 35 or whatever, and w comes after v and this is just the next COVID - a big scare that’s actually no big deal. They’ll go out and try to get it to own the libs. Venison steaks will be super popular.

If it jumped to humans and spread between humans, the only question would be how long and how hard the rest of us had to lock down to avoid it until all the morons died. There would be no hope of collective action as a society.

It’s worth noting that not only does it have to be able to jump to humans, it also has to be able to spread between humans via social contact. Those are two big leaps.

Don’t think it would take long to bring out the masks if this were spreading among humans

It just sounds like such an awful fucking way to die, and it takes a long time.

Prion disease comes from eating infected meat. I don’t think there’s a huge chance of person to person spread, or am I missing something?

Just nuke Silicon Valley

https://x.com/nbouscal/status/1753945711790653937?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

2 Likes

It depends on the specific prion disease. For example CJD (a human prion disease) is pretty hard to transmit casually, while CWD (deer disease in the link) is much more transmissible between deer.

The fear is that we get a prion disease that is easily transmissible between humans. If that happens we’re super fucked.

Prion disease jumping to people who eat venison isn’t all that concerning. Don’t eat venison, problem solved, dine at your own risk. Those researchers were saying it’s getting closer to being able to spread human to human. That’s the nightmare.

would it surprise you to find out this guy works for peter thiel?

I would put a non-zero chance on us finding out that some percent of what we now call Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s spread this way but exposure so far from disease onset would be a bear to understand. Not a high chance, but not zero either in my mind.

ETA - Timely discussion

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-023-02729-2

Iatrogenic Alzheimer’s disease in recipients of cadaveric pituitary-derived growth hormone

1 Like

Just checking in to see if I’m out of touch:

https://twitter.com/ghxstinpov13/status/1754307070763880761

T. Swift I suppose predictably would break twitter with whatever she wore to the Grammys, but is there something I’m missing about why everyone is shocked that she wore white? Were people betting on this or something?

I’m convinced that 90% of the people who say they love Indian food really just love naan.