2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

never ever be tempted to buy a boat. just trust me on this. money pits.

however, that bering 77 i’d be really tempted on if I could cough up 7+ mill. god damn the bridge is sick too.

1 Like

If it floats, flies or fucks, rent it.

3 Likes

There is another video where they are showing off a Bering 70ish that’s for sale for 1.5 million, I suppose the new ones can go for a pretty wide range depending on fittings. They said that the rules change on who can drive them at right around 77 feet long, oh well, it’s a lottery dream.

That boat would be challenging to pilot in close quarters (e.g. while docking) unless someone knew boats very well or were a professional. In the past I’ve usually seen such restrictions placed by insurance companies and not the coast guard - coast guard only really regulates who can drive with commercial stuff. Up until pretty recently in CA iirc you didn’t even need a DL to drive one recreationally, but I may be wrong about that.

1 Like

The two best days of boat ownership: The day you buy it and the day you sell it.

1 Like

This is absolutely fucked. That’s a mushroom cloud made of a known carcinogen. Glad I’m on the other side of the state.

Eric Lindros was #88 for the Flyers and was their best player in the 90s and very popular with fans. So a lot of flyers fans have had scrennames with 88 in them since then. Ken Hitchcock later coached them and was nicknamed Captain Kangaroo because he looked like some TV character. So kangarooflyer88 would make a lot of sense to me.

But I wouldn’t be shocked if white supremacists were using Lindros references now as a way to signal.

Yikes

yeah I knew about lindros, didn’t know about captain kangaroo, so that does make more sense. But it is a frequent flyer forum, so I was thinking it was some austrailian bloke.

when your mind goes to that “everything is a dogwhistle” place, you start thinking stuff like “lindros was drafted by the quebec nordiques (who no longer exist), something something nordic, runes, great replacement…”

1 Like
3 Likes

wtf

2 Likes

that’s simultaneously the most awesome and most horrifying thing ive ever seen

2 Likes

I remember watching that stuff as a kid.

I even recognize the name Harold Jackson. He would do some crazy shit.

1 Like

jesus

oh hell yeah roller derby in the 80s was the shit

So we going to get our kid an iPad primarily for entertaining self on car/plane trips. Mostly would be for watching videos/movies (with headphones) and probably some simple games.

I’ve never bought one, but looks like currently they make iPad, iPad Pro, and iPad Air. I’m thinking probably just the normal iPad is what we would want for kid? Any recs for indestructible iPad cases? It’s going to get dropped a lot I’m sure.

Get as much storage room as you can, I’d give up processor power for more storage, all of the them are fast enough for what a kid’s going to do with them, so having more room for downloaded stuff will be better. If his eyes are still good you might even look at a mini, they are pretty nice. I usually just get a $20 folio case from Amazon, but I don’t drop my toys very much anymore so ymmv…

2 Likes

Yes you just need the “regular” iPad. You can even get last years model to save a good bit (current is 10th gen, you can still get 9th gen new from Apple Store and save like $200 and it’s still way more power than you need).

2 Likes

How old is the kid? If very young, I recommend a kindle fire kids edition over an ipad. Cheaper, and completely sandboxed. Hundreds of included apps and videos that the kid can access that are age-filtered and that you can control through a parents dashboard. Finally, the videos are ad-free. Also supports all the major video apps (Netflix/disney+/prime video, etc.).

Edit: I started my 7 year old off with a kindle fire kids edition when she was 3, then upgraded her to a regular ipad when she was 6. Her younger sister got a kindle fire, and the 7 year old was jealous and we ended up getting her another kindle fire and trading in the new ipad.

1 Like