2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

Definitely just the regular iPad model will give you the best bang for the buck especially for your needs.

As for cases they make a lot of kid safe cases that are pretty bulky but will protect it. I have something called a unicorn beetle that I swear by for my own use after breaking multiple iPads in the past, but I’m not sure it is kid proof. (I wouldn’t throw my iPad but if it’s dropped it’s fine)

2 Likes

So I’m going to be doing a cross country trip with a 15 month old in late April/early may. Any tips? I’m fine with screens for this kind of thing

1 Like

Don’t know where you’re heading, but I’d avoid Eastern Ohio and Western PA.

1 Like

You driving?

1 Like

Flying. Going to see the great grandmother hopefully one more time

Not much experience with that. But have heard if you checking a carseat I think it’s free and you can put it in a travel bag that also can then stuff other baby stuff into to check less bags

Frontier Airlines (and possibly others) will absolutely check your carseat bag and then charge you to check it if they find anything other than a carseat in said bag.

Car Seats and Strollers are free to check though, that is correct. I strongly recommend gate-checking the stroller though so you can use it up to the last possible moment, and so you can get it from the plane immediately.

I’m struggling to decide what to do rn. My wife will require a wheelchair in the airport. Baby will require a stroller. I don’t think my wife can hold her for more than 30 minutes right now. Might just get a row of seats so that we can leave her in the car seat some on the plane

Prob can get one those carts to drive you all around?

But in regard to getting across country it’s hard to conceive holding a 15 month old on lap whole time. I don’t know what you can bring on plane as far as seats but I would want my kid strapped into something at that age imo

1 Like

Are you in a position to hire a nanny to get some help with the trip?

2 Likes

Hmmmm that’s an idea. I don’t think my wife would be ok with doing it though. She’s rather particular about things with the baby still. I’ve managed to convince her to get a sitter so she can get a break, but she’s not ok with leaving for a date night yet unless it’s her mom

Maybe don’t call them a nanny and suggest it’s to help get everyone to the same place on time, an assistant or butler or something like that?

It is definitely worth it (and safer!) to buy an airplane seat for the baby and use a car seat. We’ve always done that even when we flew with a 7 month old. Make sure the car seat is FAA approved (it will be on the tag). You can purchase a backpack for the car seat for the airport, and carry it around that way. There are lightweight car seats you can buy that are decent (I can’t remember how old your child is at this point). The Cosco Scenera from walmart is lightweight and has decent safety reviews.

Most major brand car seats are FAA approved to be used on an airplane. You just need to look at your tag. It’ll say “FAA approved” or have a picture of an airplane on the tag.

Looks like the Cosco Scenera was discontinued, but I assume this car seat is basically the same and very lightweight:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Scenera-NEXT-Harness-Convertible-Car-Seat-Cobblestone/534841958?athbdg=L1102

That plus a backpack holder off amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Resistant-Adjustable-Shoulder-Universal/dp/B07J34HP5Q/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=3ISS5UAI8FQLF&keywords=car+seat+backpack+for+air+travel&qid=1676428627&sprefix=Car+seat+backpack%2Caps%2C116&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQlI4VVRSTU9ONzBZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjU1MTY5MkFTV01YNzNCU0ZHMSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDQ2OTExM1Q0SzM0REc2T0M1SyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

And you’re good to go.

Edit: Finally, if your little one is still in a bucket car seat, many of those are FAA approved as well, and if you check your instructions they can likely be used without the base.

1 Like

If your wife can’t hold the baby for more than 30 minutes, for sure get another seat. Do you have one of the travel systems where the car seat can click into either a stroller or car seat base? I’d use that. Mount the car seat base in the plane seat, baby in the car seat when not being held, and gate check the stroller base. Nurse or bottle or whatever you’re using at this point at takeoff and when you start to descend due to pressure changes. Packing plenty of food and drink is almost certainly more important than screens at this age. But a favorite stuffed animal, a small quiet toy or two, and some books to read are a good idea.

2 Likes

I’ve thought about this a lot and think it’s a great idea for a vacation. Since it’s for something as personal as visiting a dying family member I think it’s probably not a good idea. Can’t imagine how awkward it would be for the nanny like person. Plus we should have extended family willing to help when we get there

1 Like

Most of those click in car seat systems don’t actually need the base (you’d have to check the instructions). There is often an alternative method where you can loop the seatbelt right through the seat itself on the plane. Given the amount of shit he’s going to be lugging through the airport, not having to deal with lugging the base around on top of that can make his life easier.

Maybe we had different experiences with different car seats, but I’d definitely rather buckle in the base than try to thread that fucker through the car seat that may or may not have a sleeping baby in it. Also, I’m pretty sure our base was mandatory, at least in the car, so we’d be having to shlep the base around anyway even if only for the car ride from the airport.