2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

No, but it’s also so much cheaper that I can just pay for Netflix when I want it and still come out $60+ ahead every month. I think I was paying $4 of my Netflix plan with T-Mobile anyway because I didn’t have the absolute bottom tier subscription.

They did recently give me 6 months of Paramount+ though.

They have all kinds of disclaimers about deprioritization and throttling but I’ve never noticed it since switching in 2022.

1 Like

Imo people way overestimate how much speed you need. For years until they finally ran fiber past my house, our home Internet maxed at 25 mbps. We were able to stream multiple devices off of it.

1 Like

It’s not the peak speeds that you need. IME though if they advertise 500mbps, then you are getting 100 mbps - 400 mbps, and it’s more often than not going to be closer to 100 than 400. So if a place is advertising 70-320, I’d be concerned it’s more lik 15-200 with it being closer to 15 more often than 200.

1 Like

one other thing about mint. currently my amex provides free phone insurance if I pay my bill with the amex every month. It seems that the monthly payment is necessary to qualify for that, which would go away with a yearly mint payment. Not a deal breaker (don’t think I’ve ever even used it and I can obviously sustain the hit) but something to factor in

in other news, my dermatologist prescribed rinvoq for my dermatitis today (it’s been getting worse and topical treatment isn’t really controlling it anymore). I could tell it was pretty expensive because they wanted to call my insurance company themselves and then arrange for delivery, which seemed unusual. She also told me to get the shingles vaccine and sent me off with a month of rinvoq samples.

I went to my pharmacy to figure out what to do here, wasn’t sure if I should start taking the pills or what, the pharmacist told me to wait 2 weeks after getitng shingrix before starting the rinvoq, and then told me, oops, insurance has denied the shingrix because you aren’t 50 (I’m almost 49). So now I’ve got to get the dermatologist to call the insurnace company to tell them yes I actually need the shingrix now and not a year from now, and the PA I talked to said to go ahead and start the rinvoq now (which I absolutely have not).

anyway, found out the retail price for rinvoq is $6k/month, though I think that’s for a higher dose than what I’ve been prescribed. No idea what my insurance is going to do (not that it really matters since my insurnace switches July 1st).

my other option is Dupixent, which is self-injectable, and “only” costs (Retail) about $4k/month. I assume this would also require prior auth from the insurer? idk. Downside here is that it can apparently take “up to” 16 weeks to start working, compared to “probably next day” for rinvoq.

1 Like

Do you actually need the Shingrix now? Does having dermatitis increase the likelihood of you getting shingles in the next year?

Assuming that med is an immunosuppressant so that probably is the issue

Yeah this

2024 World Cup of Darts is underway. Teams and group draws:

USA (-150) plays Portugal at 3:15 EST. That’s a reasonably tough match since Portual has world #30 Jose de Sousa albeit paired with a relative unknown. Both US players are PDC Tour card holders and top 150 Order of Merit. PlutoTV streaming for free:

https://x.com/ProxyFreak/status/1806100721793683902

https://x.com/ResistMonsters/status/1789834166277709908

3 Likes

USA loses and quite badly at that. We aren’t sending our best.

:vince1:

Human cells isolated from juvenile foreskin are flexible enough to grin when moved.

1 Like

Randomly saw this on Hacker Newsletter (though totally unrelated to tech) and found it to be a fascinating overview of a country I otherwise know nothing about, gonna read some of his other work later:

CS04’s “The Stans” trip report is one of the best things back on 22

My toddler has gone from preferring me to my wife for bed and bath… and I love it. I do dishes and tidy instead of trying to manipulate a toddler. My wife, child psychologist, is much better than me anyways.

1 Like

She will figure out what you’re good for.

(Sincerely-kids will know what your special parenting talents are and gravitate to them)

Oh I’m the favorite for damn near everything else. Drove me up the damn wall because I never got a moments peace. Glad to see it going the other way

Enjoy every minute.

this is approximately 1/2 of the parents I run into at high school functions for my kids

2 Likes

I literally thought the woman was a mom I’ve known for about 12 years when I first saw that