2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

Now now so is anywhere nice in Socal.

Not ime, they’re fewer and farther between, and less gaping out here.

I worked out there for years. It is very nice. The problem with the West Coast is that much of it is overdeveloped whereas much of the barrier beaches on Long Island and the East End are not. Long Island beaches are great because it’s beaches and trees with a few two story at most buildings with concessions. There isn’t even a real highway out to the Hamptons, it’s a two lane road (which takes fucking forever in the summer, which is why the rich use helicopters and planes). Those of us that worked out there learned how to zig zag across a lot of residential streets to avoid Route 27A wherever possible. Going from the courthouse to the beach at lunch in Southampton was one of my favorite parts about working out there.

Ehhhh I dunno like here’s Stinson Beach

which tbh is kinda a dime a dozen up and down the California coast once you get out of the big cities.

edit: actually that’s only true until you get down to Santa Barbara, then SoCal beach property is serious business

1 Like

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/1eutec1/amazon_driver_breaks_through_motorcyclist_blockade/

Doin God’s work.

1 Like

There are still some beaches that aren’t too developed in SoCal. El Matador in Malibu is rugged and gorgeous.

So are a few others in Malibu, though less dramatic - all considered state parks. Afaik everything from LA to SD is developed, but from Malibu to SB there is a mixture of developed and less developed areas. There are several right off the PCH there, and you just park and walk down.

1 Like

They’re nice enough, but striking should be reserved for things like the Redwoods or ice blue glacial melt lakes.

I think a lot of the fascination is that the Hamptons nature looks almost manicured.

Trivia question: WTF is this?

wtf

Strictest?

4 Likes

Correct! It’s from a 1781 newspaper. The combination of a fancy ct ligature and the long s makes it nearly incomprehensible to modern readers. Fuller context below.

I sometimes read old newspapers and it takes a few minutes for my brain to “switch” into a mode where this is readable. I think it’s really interesting that this used to be normal, and that right around 1800 everybody moved pretty quickly into using the modern s.

1 Like

Just to dogpile on, fuckin’ what?

The Washington coast is remote enough that the Quinnault Indian reservation gets ~50 miles of uninterrupted coast. Ocean Shores and Long Beach count as civilization, but there just ain’t much else out there. Olympic National Park is the least visited national park. The northern Oregon coast, from Astoria to ~Tillamook, is kinda developed, but the southern Oregon coast, like, south of Newport, is one of the best places to be in the country in the event of a nuclear attack designed to hit military bases and population centers. The NorCal coast from Eureka to Rockport doesn’t even have a highway. Mendocino to San Francisco is interrupted by Bodega Bay and very, very little else, and even then, when you’re so close to a major metro area, Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz is hardly developed at all. And then, yeah Monterey to Santa Barbara is minimally developed and one of the most beautiful drives in the country.

Nitting it up a bit here but Olympic is actually in the top 10 most visited national parks.

1 Like

Really? OK, I guess my folks lied to me. They’re just about done with visiting all of them, and I took them at their word on that one.

Surely American Samoa must be the least visited national park?

EDIT: Looks like it’s 2nd behind one of the Alaska ones.

Not even the least visited in Washington lmao

Lol @.my folks. Serves me right for listening to them.

2 Likes

Watched a few of this guy’s videos lately, he’s a fun presenter and it’s interesting content:

1 Like

man I thought my last team building exercise was bad, holy shit

Good lord how would you work with those idiots again? I have a gortex shell that is dayglow orange and yellow because if I’m lost in the mountains I want the damn helicopter to find me.

Here is our team building event at the top of Gray’s Peak.

2 Likes