2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

4, 3, 5, 2, 1

great smile on 5.

Apologies if you are 1, maybe it’s the angle of the photo.

2 Likes

It depends on which end you start counting at, I’m in the bright shell hallucinating due to lack of oxygen.

1 Like

When I read this I did not imagine the extent of how glowing your shell really was. It’s nice to be able to use it around construction sites, to direct traffic, pick up trash on the side of the freeway, etc.

2 Likes

I haven’t watched it yet, but I saw this video in my recommendations

and just from the title and thumbnail I was like “huh” and now I can’t stop seeing these cars everywhere all around me (and now you will too!)

2 Likes

So true and so so many ugly cars out there.

I’ve been thinking about car colors recently for two reasons, one, we’re in the market for a new car, and two, our girls have taken to playing a game in the car where they try to spot every color of the rainbow (ezpz: red, blue; uncommon: green; rarer: orange, yellow; rare: purple; and somehow they decided that pink is part of this game, too, which is exceedingly rare). His best point is that people want a car color that both stands out and doesn’t stand out, which is a great explanation for why metallic silver-gray has been so immensely popular for the last couple decades, but now it’s so common that car companies have to come up with a new simultaneously conforming/non-conforming look to stand out from the universal metallic silver-gray without standing out too much, because the people wanting to stand out a little from the metallic silver-gray usually aren’t considering yellow or orange. So, you can go off-gray, like some of those pale greens we saw in the video, or you drop the metallic, which is his main thing.

I kinda hate gray/silver cars in general, though, metallic or not, because when it rains (not uncommon up here in the PNW), those fuckers are invisible if they don’t have their lights on (which is the law, but people are bad about it).

me: just poppin over to facebook to check in with my one dumb alumni group to see what they’re saying about football or whatever

zucc, completely unprompted, decides to show me this:

Me when my wife shushes me in the library

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/d4134a81-02a9-472a-97f6-6f905087de09

(Picked up Nate’s book, it’s enormous, not sure I really want to read this)

Also who the fuck is reading this shit?

Weird cover choice on the Psaki book.

While obviously there’s selection bias here (my feed isn’t likely to contain people praising Nate’s book) I’ve seen some pretty dumb quotes from it, like

As someone who did some crypto stuff, nothing in that quote resembles how shitcoin pump and dumps worked to me, both at a high level and definitely not at a low level (they sell at the same time and one gets all the money and the other gets nothing? lol this is a market with thousands of participants and a deep liquidity pool you utter dipshit).

(this is in the middle of a very long thread from Karpf looking at excerpts from the book, maybe this is a better read so Karpf can read it so you don’t have to)

:leolol:

Also seems like some these sparkling water type things are slowly discovering soda. Like one has 8 calories then next 20 calories and I’m sure in 5 years they will all be sprite again

(I love sparkling water)

An Actually Good article from NYT, at least if you’re a nerd like me:

America Must Free Itself from the Tyranny of the Penny

Archive link

I was disappointed to learn, recently, that the United States has created for itself a logistical problem so stupendously stupid, one cannot help wondering if it is wise to continue to allow this nation to supervise the design of its own holiday postage stamps, let alone preside over the administration of an extensive Interstate highway system or nuclear arsenal. It’s the dumbest thing I ever heard. I have come to think of it as the Perpetual Penny Paradox.

Most pennies produced by the U.S. Mint are given out as change but never spent; this creates an incessant demand for new pennies to replace them, so that cash transactions that necessitate pennies (i.e., any concluding with a sum whose final digit is 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 or 9) can be settled. Because these replacement pennies will themselves not be spent, they will need to be replaced with new pennies that will also not be spent, and so will have to be replaced with new pennies that will not be spent, which will have to be replaced by new pennies (that will not be spent, and so will have to be replaced). In other words, we keep minting pennies because no one uses the pennies we mint.

1 Like

honestly I think if either candidate came out and said “yeah I’m gonna get rid of the penny” they’d get a boost

Was wondering about this the other day if we going to axe the penny might as well just round any cash transaction to quarters? I’m sure people would pull out their fainting couches but come on

Or maybe round to the nearest $0.10? The article says the dime is the smallest coin that doesn’t cost more to make than it’s worth.

1 Like

Yeah, getting rid of anything smaller than a dime and just dropping a decimal point seems like way this would happen. We technically already do this with the penny and rounding off to the nearest hundredth.

I suppose this would complicate what the value of a quarter is though.

As long as we’re revolutionizing systems, this is evidence that humanity should be using base 12 instead of base 10.

1 Like

These two guys disagree

IMG_1893

Hmmm, I don’t remember that one.

But then it will be the tyranny of the nickel, then the tyranny of the dime etc…