2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

My favorite Twitter history professor wrote a thorough article about how teaching positions in academia work (and relatedly talks about the death of tenure-track positions and the gig-ification of teaching), which I’m sure some of you are familiar with but I learned a lot from:

2 Likes

Adjuncts are serfs.

1 Like

Ace Ventura fucking brings it

1 Like

damn jim carey’s granddaughter is a fascist?

3 Likes

Harold makes an appearance too

finally this is explained.

1 Like

I always assumed it was one of the Onion writers, since that’s where it originated from. That’s shitty.

2 Likes

he thinks it’s funny fwiw

also it was clickhole? Heartbreaking: The Worst Person You Know Just Made A Great Point - ClickHole

at least he went viral for something completely outside of himself. there was a girl I knew from my old job that posted an extremely tone deaf and vapid picture of herself staring poignantly at some rice fields with third world workers working them and some really tone deaf caption and I still see her pop up on the feeds from time to time on the various ragebait articles that circle around online. she can’t make a new account without being found and mocked. she lowkey deserved it though so it’s more funny than sad.

I don’t think the caption is bad depending on her intention. It could mean she has the self-awareness that she won the birth lottery and is living a privileged life.

1 Like

Yeah, if she had worded it just slightly differently it would have been remarkably self-aware.

The Onion owned Clickhole at the time.

swirling debate online as to whether the photo depicts him as the worst person or whether he is captured looking at such a person.

That’s interesting, I’ve always seen him as an observer, not the worst person. Sort of a Fry squint-eye personified.

1 Like

I’ve always thought of it as him being the worst person you know, even though he doesn’t really look the part. I’ll think of it now as he’s the other party, feeling what it’s like to know that the worst person he knows made a good point.

1 Like

Yeah, he’s got the pained look of realizing that the worst person he knows just made a really great point.

That’s also why using him as a meme response works. You respond to Donald Trumpbot with a photo of him, that’s because he’s realizing that the worst person he knows just made a great point. Having him be the worst person doesn’t make sense in the way the meme is used.

2 Likes

I almost grunch posted the same quote thinking lol at this guy for believing there’s a debate, he’s clearly the worst guy

Anyone here have experience working with lignocelluosic composites?

I’ve worked with breaking down lignocellulosics into lignin and sugar. But I’m much more on the cellulose/sugar side than the lignin side.

1 Like