2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

Impossible because how could Prof X and Captain Picard be in the same place?

3 Likes

Makes sense, but was just weird seeing that post right after seeing this in the discord.

3 Likes

The Marvel universe was actually created by Tucker Carlsen

1 Like

There’s a bit from the new videogame where Blade starts a book club just so he can flirt with Captain Marvel, I don’t know why the movies can’t give us incredible story lines like that.

1 Like

My favorite Blade movie was the one where he went to prison for 3 years for tax evasion.

1 Like

This seems like an overcharge:

Charging healthcare workers for crimes when they make mistakes does not seem to be a good societal path if we want to continue having healthcare workers.

1 Like

Also, Captain America comes to the book club and it’s awkward because he gets in Blade’s way. Then Wolverine shows up just for the snacks. I swear I am not making this up, the Midnight Suns game is wild.

That’s not what happened here. They tied him down in a prone position and didn’t monitor vital signs. They showed up with a corpse at the hospital.

That’s not a mistake.

Deserved.

2 Likes

I’ll give you a manslaughter. Murder 1 though?

I ain’t a prosecutor. I have zero sympathy for these assholes, and I had a ton for the Tennessee nurse who accidentally gave a paralytic.

1 Like

Also if he really was that agitated you need to do 500 IM ketamine, place him on monitors and let me take care of the details in the ER

EMS transports in the prone position are super uncommon. Before COVID many agencies wouldn’t even do it, because of exactly this, and since then it’s only done when necessary with careful considerations like monitoring vital signs and not restraining your patient. I’ve still never seen it outside of severe COVID transports. So this seems wildly negligent at best. I guess murder is still a stretch but if there’s footage of the providers viciously abusing the patient before transport (and it sounds like there is) and a prosecutor wants to make an example I guess it could stick. My coworkers were upset about the Vandy nurse charge but I imagine they won’t care about this one.

I’m guessing some contributing factors are interacting with the cops who always seem to dehumanize patients at every opportunity. And the call was between 2-3 am, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the providers were near the end of a 24 hour shift because that’s what they often do and it’s absurd. That’s all speculation though.

And for disclaimers IANAL and I have no medical training.

2 Likes

Still think there is a difference from people being negligent/poorly trained/impacted by exhaustion/whatever to saying these two people conspired together intentionally to kill someone

ETA- also before I get deep into this I haven’t watched any videos/etc just more of a general philosophical stance that charging health workers with crimes is a kinda slippery slope where it may end up that malpractice/mistakes become criminal someday. Obviously there a line where it’s appropriate though

I take back what I said about the police. I watched the body cam video, they were fine. The paramedic response was horrifying. Especially the woman. She got in the room as this guy was writhing in distress on the floor and starts rudely ordering him to stand up when he clearly can’t. Zero assessment. Zero reason for transporting the patient prone other than that’s the way he flopped onto the stretcher and she couldn’t be bothered to fix it. She made it clear she was entirely uninterested in providing even the most basic medical care. One of the articles mentioned the Illinois murder law is “intends to kill or do great bodily harm or knows that such acts will cause death.” I would believe based on her words and actions that she intended to cause at least a little bit of pain. Find me a racist social media post of hers which I’m sure probably exists and I’ll bump it up to great bodily harm.

The other guy will probably get off with less, he was mostly just a bystander, didn’t say anything incriminating about this dude in need of medical care ruining his night, and according to his LinkedIn is just an EMT so he can make the case that he didn’t really understand the potential consequences of what was happening.

The analogies to George Floyd are apt. The woman was Chauvin and the dude was one of the other cops standing around thinking this was fine and normal.

2 Likes

Vic was black and ambulance drivers were white? I didn’t catch that. Ok you & @CaffeineNeeded are pushing me into thinking they can make out a murder with some of these additional details. I’m not familiar with that state’s laws but I guess it’s getting closer to the classic “depraved-heart” murder.

Agreed in general, just don’t think that this falls into medmal/negligence bucket. They treated this person as subhuman because of his substance use, and he died because of it.

The Tennessee case with the the wrong medicine being administered (Vecuronium instead of versed) is a far better example of overreach.

What is the Tennessee case?

Sum up is:

The nurse, RaDonda Vaught, apologized to the relatives of the 75-year-old victim, Charlene Murphey, who was injected with a fatal dose of vecuronium, a paralyzing drug, instead of Versed, a sedative, while at Vanderbilt University Medical Center for a brain injury on Dec. 26, 2017, according to court papers.

Strapping someone face down is not in that kind of bucket.

Also the wording here is dumb. It’s not a fatal dose. You use these drugs to intubate people. Paralyzing someone without a plan for breathing is bad. I don’t like vecuronium because it lasts too long which is trouble if you can’t get the airway.

1 Like

2023 is a very weird number. Here are its only prime factors:

1*2023, 7*289, 17*119

2 Likes