2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

because homeless people are “supposed” to be homeless. same reason why we can lose multiple thousands of people every day to covid and people don’t bat an eye. it’s “natural” for people to die in a hospital. it’s not “natural” for an expensive vacation area to erupt in flames, so it evokes a much more emotional response.

2 Likes

I dunno, I personally think anytime people do something good we should encourage it as opposed to say well actually you all didn’t do this other good thing. Like I take a pretty big paycut to be a doctor for a lot of homeless folks, recent prison releases, etc, but I would not be super comfortable if a halfway house opened up on my block. That obviously shows some hypocrisy, but I don’t think it means I should quit taking care of these folks until I fix my moral failings because the last time a doctor quit it took 3 years to fill the job so these folks would be in trouble

3 Likes

That may be an aspect but also after a fire/etc it feels more “fixable” and obvious how to help. Like people look around at nearly every city/state in US struggling with finding best programs to help homeless folks and think “well fuck can I really make a difference?”. Then on other hand if your a marina and have 2 days of fuel left and know it’s going to be 2 days before the national guard arrives it’s pretty damn obvious how to help

1 Like

The biggest buyers of homes right now? Boomers, for their kids. The housing market is completely broken.

Yeah seems like we headed for some sort of like feudal family land situation. House near us got bought by retirees but just found it it’s for their (college???) kid to live in. I’m wondering if details was lost in story being passed down and actually is a postdoc or something as a college kid living in a 4BR house in a suburb and commuting every day is kinda ridiculous

That’s the neighbors to one side of me. It’s great, they’re never there

I don’t know how we haven’t yet hit the stage where all affordable housing is bought up by megacorporations to be turned into rentals & airbnbs. We have to be getting close to that.

I dunno if you guys have had much interaction with them but late 30’s/early 40’s generational wealth millennials are the absolute worst, boomer 2.0

these are just the boomers that had enough left over to buy their kids houses. most of them did a reverse mortgage and the middle finger to their kids, while something something bootstraps

Michael Lewis to the courtesy phone

lol what the hell is this?

How has someone not lost an eye?
And hilarious tradition, comes from rich people throwing scalding hot pennies at poor people in the middle ages, so fucked.
Also bringing an umbrella or a bucket is clearly against the spirit

What the actual fuck, and how had he not challenged this in court before???

Only skimming shit but I think he only found out this February?

Wow just seems hard to believe there could be a movie made about you and not realize you never got paid until a decade later

I posted about this in the other LC thread, it sounds like he didn’t know the extent to which others in his “family” were being paid:

Oher’s court petition says he never received any money from the movie, even though he long suspected that others were profiting, according to his attorney, J. Gerard Stranch IV. Whenever Oher asked questions, he did not get straight answers, his attorney said.

Oh lol yeah, that seems like quite the oversight.

:harold: for him

So the nice Christian white people may turn out to be neo-slavers

:shocked_pika:

Time to abolish American football, pro and college both.

5 Likes

A friend of mine made a sort of half-joking complaint on facebook about people just assuming her dog is a boy because she has a blue harness and the first response is “Imposing gender bs on dogs is so boomer” and I honestly have no idea if this person is serious or just being funny

1 Like

one of the best taco trucks I ever have had camped next to a liquor store near my house, parked on a curb across from some apartments. They weren’t breaking any rules but the neighbors made a big stink with the city, claiming he parked his vehicles too long there and it was making parking for them worse (they have an entire side of the street + a lot to themselves).

So in the most split-the-baby-in-half move ever, the city painted the ENTIRE stretch of road’s curb red, so now the taco truck can’t use it, nor can the residents. I just learned the taco truck went out of business. fucking lol. I can’t stand nimby/bougey fucks, probably more than any other demographic out there, they are the fucking worst. What the residents were actually mad about was a lot of hispanic type of people would all go there after work and hang out and get a ton of food. it was great.

2 Likes

Seriously, has this AI shit done literally anything positive for the world? It’s just 100% scamming people and putting people out of work and whatever the fuck is going on here.

Did you actually need a robot to tell you that there’s fucking in Handmaid’s Tale? You should not be working in education!