2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

I mean, I guess. I don’t think most people do though. Your downside for not taking them at age 1 seems pretty low to me.

I’m a slave to aap.

My wife HATES the dentist, so this is on me. I’m taking her. We’ll see. I went an absurd amount of time without going to the dentist and was fine. My wife has some major issues though. Hopefully she takes after me

(Yeah, you know me.)

4 Likes

We started going to a pediatric dentist quite early when my baby had an eruption cyst that lasted “forever”. We’ve continued going. The appointments have all been quick and easy. He brushes his own teeth at home (currently 18 months).

1 Like

One year old dental appointment seemed pretty minimal. Did teach us the hold the kid upside down tooth brushing technique but seems toothpaste tastes pretty good these days so hasn’t been an issue

1 Like

:vince4:

That’s just insane waaaat

1 Like

yea he has all the basics I think. but generally clueless about a lot of stuff. i don’t think he’d go take a course, he’s fairly head strong, even for a 19 y/o.

he’s acting cool like he knows everything but I know how terrifying it is to set off on your own for the first time without a safety net like dad and mom - he’s lived on his own before, but he’s really on his own now. I was around his age when the gravity of that hit me and it was terrifying - like, no one is coming to help you, this is it. Lots of people are lucky to not experience that, but unfortunately he will have to. I am a safety net to some degree but not a very big one.

1 Like

+1 to no credit card. That seems much riskier than it’s worth.

I have a friend who grew up like this, he started hanging out with my friends group around the same age and we had to teach him a lot of life skills. He started doing volunteer FD shifts a few years ago and it’s been transformative for him, so if your guy has any interest in something similar I would encourage it.

1 Like

The thing that comes to mind for me is for you to model healthy, empathetic, respectful relationships for him. Sounds like he may not have had many of those in his life so far.

3 Likes
1 Like

what happened in that case

Gave vecuronium (a paralytic) when meaning to give versed (a sedative) to a patient doing a scan resulting in their death. Was charged for something that could have been years in prison, got convicted of a lesser charge that resulted in three years probation.

The mistake was bad for several reasons, but Vanderbilt had several of their safety systems not properly functioning which contributed to the error. You do medicine long enough and you will make a medication error.

yeah that was my recollection, this seemed way more like a systemic issue than anything that the particular nurse should be blamed for

It was both. Their system for storing/giving nurses medications routinely needed to be overridden so what is normally a standard safety measure was useless. But she had to ignore a big red thing on the med saying it was a paralytic and mix up the medication (which you don’t do for versed). Still though, if you want people to never report errors like this you charge someone criminally for it.

1 Like

I still routinely get Clonidine (a blood pressure med) and Klonopin (a heavy-duty benzo) mixed up.

Whoopsie! I dunno about fixing his blood pressure, but that should chill him RIGHT the fuck out

1 Like

My daughter that is 10 has been flossing her teeth religiously for like 4 years now.

She has about a 15 minute tooth regime every evening.

It’s a good thing the biggest clonidine tab is 0.3 or else I would have probably dropped a couple folks by now with a 1mg qhs order but thankfully once I see the tablet choices realize I clicked the wrong one. I’m guessing they would have to had changed one the med names if they shared any tablet sizes

no posts about this? i expected more from all of you

3 Likes

Sounds slightly OCD tbh

Tbf this guy is a douche iirc, but I still lol’d

2 Likes