2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

I thought “ginger” was a UK expression. Don’t think I ever heard it growing up but they say it all the time on British TV. .

It was, but became popularised in a south park episode. Underwent a fair amount of bullying over that one stupid episode. As I aged my hair turned brown.

as with most UK things that one was better off left in the UK.

1 Like

I had to kill a few minutes waiting for a prescription at Target so I wandered through the books department. It seems the world has changed since I last checked in.

1. Vinyl records are back and cost $20-60.

1. Among other two-word phrases I would not have anticipated, behold this glorious Minecraft Cookbook.

1. Apparently there is a bold renaissance in American literature being led by a single very prolific author. #BookTok

Coincidentally I had literally never heard of this person until a couple days ago when I saw this CNN article.

4 Likes

Not just any cookbook, an official cookbook!

2 Likes

I thought the retro vinyl fad died a decade ago.

1 Like

I mean I guess I knew there was sort of a vinyl resurgence a while ago, but I thought it was hipsters going to record stores. I didn’t realize there was an aisle of actual 12" records at Target.

Now I’m wondering who the people are that are paying $60 for Nikki Minaj on vinyl at Target, and how much they overlap with suburban superfans of Colleen Hoover.

1 Like

Revisiting the Republican debate “woke” drinking game, if this transcript is accurate, the total number of "woke"s during the debate was…one?

Haley: …there’s a lot of crazy, woke things happening in schools, but we have got to get these kids reading…

I guess the culture wars are officially over.

Nah, they will move on to the next plen-t-plaint culture war issue.

Just got done with jury duty, I was sequestered since Monday on a double attempted 1st degree murder case, guilty on all counts

5 Likes

were they very obviously guilty or was it a 12 angry men scenario?

Sounds like that could have been rough. Thanks for stepping up!

1 Like

it was pretty obvious, BUT there were a lot of holes in the case (and some really shitty police work) that required some time to get everyone completely comfortable with the verdict. The main thing is that 1) people were getting ratholed on completely irrelevant baloney (which of course the defense tried to stir up) and 2) a lot of people (including me) wanted to try to figure out why certain information was withheld from us, which A) is a really futile exercise and B) ultimately wasn’t even relevant in most cases. E.g. the defendant’s car was on video at a gas station and the footage was extremely blurry, that was the only evidence we saw of the vehicle, the prosecutor at one point made a throwaway reference to the police “developing the license plate number.” I brought this up in the deliberation and it could have gone down a rathole, but ultimately I figured out that HOW they got the license plate really didn’t matter, the judge obviously excluded (from the jury) the manner of HOW the police found it but NOT the license plate itself, so I decided to drop it. It turned out that they found the vehicle in video from earlier the same day at a different location where it was connected to an attempted carjacking unrelated to our case.

The other thing that made this case tricky is that one of the victims was “unable to be subpoenaed” (e.g. in the wind) and basically all of his statements to the police on the night of the incident were excluded since he couldn’t be cross examined. The defense attorney did find a way to get some of his info into the record (e.g. he had told the police there were two people in the shooter’s car, which we only found out about because the officer filed a BOLO for “a black SUV with two occupants”. That sent us down a rathole with the gas station video to see if we could see a passenger (we couldn’t, the window tint was really dark and it was at night). Ultimately we figured it was the defendant’s girlfriend, who testified and had her own attorney (she was trying to give him an alibi but we found out later she was also under suspicion for the car jacking and her attorney had her on a pretty short leash, her testimony was probably like a total of 10 minutes but took about 4 hours (because of the three different attorneys arguing different points (while we were sitting on our thumbs in the jury room, of course)).

8 Likes

Man that seems miserable. Good on you for doing your civic duty and all that.

Just finished 5 days in Disneyland with my wife and daughters for the first time as part of a trip to California to visit family. For those of you who live ont he west coast and have only been to Disneyland, you should know that, while fun, it is a pale facsimile of Disney World and the two aren’t even in the same universe.

1 Like

So, if you lived in LA, how often would you fly to Orlando?

I usually hear the opposite from people, but I’ve only been to disneyland.

Been an extremely long time but as I recall, Disneyland is kind of like Disneyworld without Epcot or Universal Studios. You still get most of the essential Disney stuff like Haunted Mansion.

It is immensely less annoying to visit. There are a ton of hotels right across from the entrance. And notably, you don’t have to go to Florida.

5 Likes

Animal Kingdom too… my second favorite park at Disney.

1 Like

Often.