2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

Count me and my college friends in the category of those under 60 who play hearts. We’ve played both with and without J♦️variants.

I’ve only ever played with my parents, so I think that’s pretty much the same as 60+. We’ve never played J of diamonds, feels like that would send variance through the roof in an already variance-filled game lol

high level hearts back when I played, wasnt for money just rating, but there was always soft collusion going on, like if you pass a heart it can’t be your highest heart or people will start to bully you.

i hate the J diamond variant because it’s much harder to shoot.

sounds like we need a SPE hearts tourney maybe :eyes::eyes::eyes:

Well I just spend the last weekend at a bridge tournament. Pretty sure that makes me secretly 85 years old

4 Likes

I played hearts a ton as a kid, we had an Intellivision game called Royal Dealer that included hearts along with crazy eights, rummy and gin rummy. Haven’t played in years, though, not since Microsoft stopped bundling it with Windows.

1 Like

Games.yahoo.hearts

In the red level rated lobby, if you passed to someone and they shot the moon, you were NEVER hearing the end of it

1 Like

yea, the “polite” thing to do is when you pass a person a heart and you have a chance to take a heart trick against the heart you passed to them, you do it to prevent a moon shot. not foolproof but if every player plays that way it’s nearly impossible to shoot.

passing A hearts is pretty trollish too

you can get hearts in the MS app store, that’s where I play now, not sure where the best places to play now are

I play it on Board Game Arena every now and then.

1 Like

strong contender for most misleading chart of the year and it’s still january

2 Likes

Definitely went through a card-playing era in my college/immediate post-college years. Played a fair amount of hearts and some bridge, although I kind of lost interest when I saw others in the group lugging around these huge thick books on how to play.

We actually mostly played a Latvian game called Zolite that’s played 3-handed and I guess is played for money in Latvia. It doesn’t have as much depth as bridge but is a lot of fun to play drunk and/or high. (Those Latvians were legendary partiers!)

Adding: I see the game actually has a Wikipedia page now! We played with sightly different rules, but for the most part, this is it.

3 Likes
4 Likes

thanks for that link.

there’s a wild variant of stud called mexican poker spread in LA some places that removes 8,9,T, has a joker that’s semi-wild, and has a street where you can optionally show or hide your hole card. oh and it’s usually played no limit.

love interesting card games and cards in general. I came from a card playing family - great grandpa was a gambler/cowboy from texas at the turn of the century and from as early age as I can remember I grew up playing many forms of poker, spades, hearts, gin rummy, you name it. If I ever have a family someday I hope to continue the tradition.

1 Like

Doubly weird because you’d be touching her pieces.

2 Likes

I think that’s what he’s trying to do.

5 Likes

I’m envious of vets sometimes

Metal af that is. I never do shit that cool

3 Likes

“what do you want to do when you grow up?”

“light farts on fire”

2 Likes

I don’t know, I scrubbed in on a lumbar tap that the ER doc did, and I thought it was cool if you replace methane flames with CSF.

Dude had meningitis…. It fucked him up for a bit but he turned out ok. I had to walk the samples down to the lab and hand deliver them myself, can’t use the tube system for CSF.

2 Likes

ROFL I’m imagining lighting some csf on fire like a boss.

1 Like