2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

wtf I need to get out there before that thing gets imploded

yea i looked at the official report and it was some of that and also looks like it was paying back stock and stuff but still doesnt make much sense to me

Of course James Comey got paid $7 million a year to conduct fake trials at Bridgewater.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/11/james-comey-dalio-bridgewater-the-fund

Ray Dalio: narcissist weirdo

He tended to speak in meetings from his experience, so Dalio would quickly correct him that he should apply the firm’s Principles rather than his own (one read, “Don’t tolerate badness,” while another prescribed “truth at all costs”).

Fuck off.

1 Like

Cheap paint has lower % volume solids than better paint, which just means less pigment and resin. Lower VS% generally implies higher solvent % which evaporates while the paint is curing. So if you started with a gallon, painted your walls, and were left with a third of a gallon, then VS% is 33%. In general that means worse coverage and more coats required. Benjamin Moore is probably top shelf with some paints hitting 48% VS and it costs about $100/gallon.

:nodrake: Lead in my paint.

:yesdrake: Lead in my solder.

That’s not even that bad compared to some of the big chemical commodities :harold:

Although some of those have started coming back down in the last year. Shit was wild in 2021 and 2022.

Super random question: my extremities (hands/feet mostly) tend to get cold, and we’re entering the time of year where the ambient indoor temperature in our house drops from high 60s/low 70s to low-mid 60s. I would mostly be fine with this and just dress warmer, but it really does affect my hands a lot, particularly when I’m at my computer typing most of the day while working from home.

Do gloves for this kind of use case (indoors, still need high dexterity to use a computer, just want warmer hands) exist? Or better yet, has anyone traveled this path & have a recommendation?

There are lots of super thin, form fitting gloves that are compatible with touch screens. I don’t have a specific rec, but I saw a lot of them when I was look for some standard outdoor gloves on amazon.

Maybe try electric rechargeable hand warmers. I suffer from the same thing and always have a heated wrap of some sort at my desk. Been considering getting the hand warmers to take with me to work this winter.

Docs weigh in- I’ve always understood this to be a sign of not great circulation. Or is that just an old wives tale?

I can sympathize with that problem. I have terrible circulation to my extremities, my hands always go numb on my road bike (partly because I have a weak core too so I put too much pressure on them). Always baffled me why people wear vests, it’s always my arms that get cold, not my core.

1 Like

Same.

It sounds like what he is describing might be this (link below), which sounds like for a lot of people is only an annoyance and for some can be a sign of a significant underlying condition.

I think I might also have a mild case of the primary form. Not even close to what goofy is describing, which doesn’t even sound that bad.

1 Like

Yea I have Raynauds. Dr told me never to smoke or I could end up getting extremities amputated. I don’t have any advice though. My hands always get frozen in the winter when working on computers like you say.

As do I. I also have a fairly bum ticker, so I carry nitro spray with me.

I shit you not, if I take a hit of nitro 5 mins before I go out on a cold winter’s day, say to shovel the walk or work on my car, my Raynaud’s is much less severe. Using nitro spray is essentially entirely without consequences, so if you can talk your dr. into it, and you don’t mind risking a headache, give it a try.

I’ve actually been thinking about trying to get my experience to researchers and see if it could help people. When my Raynaud’s comes on it’s quite debilitating.

sometimes I just want a couple of additional pockets

There’s an old hiking/camping adage, something like, “Cold hands/feet? Wear a hat.” I think the idea is that if you keep your core warm, your extremities will follow.

1 Like

You could try fingerless gloves, or maybe a little heater blowing at your keyboard?

I actually just ordered some because my hands get dry as hell during the winter and I’m trying to avoid them cracking this year. Cutting the fingers off of the cotton gloves I had ended with them just tearing completely apart.