2024 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: Debate Night - Walz vs Weirdo

First thought I had upon hearing the news.

Getting a bit tired of living through historic events, tbqh.

1 Like

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/17/us/politics/biden-health-election-drop-out.html

https://archive.ph/gXf9W

Wen ikesskewedpolls.com?

what is happening?

https://x.com/JoeBiden/status/1813715902250017022

(you gotta click on this)

Translation: yeah I stomped on his couch

(right after the debate)

:vince1:

:leolol:

1 Like

yeah that aint a denial

I think it’s happening

The private conversations with the Hill are continuing,” a senior Democratic adviser tells CNN, speaking on condition of anonymity to avoid alienating the campaign and the White House. “He’s being receptive. Not as defiant as he is publicly.”

“He’s gone from saying, ‘Kamala can’t win,’ to ‘Do you think Kamala can win?” the adviser said. “It’s still unclear where he’s going to land but seems to be listening

WTF this seems like a dramatic change in reporting from prior?

“ Local police at the Trump rally were circulating a photo of the gunman, who was considered suspicious, before the shooting”

ETA- I got ahead of myself but still not great

The sniper took a photo, which was circulated to law enforcement agencies at the rally. Though considered suspicious, he appeared to be unarmed and not an immediate threat, the official said.

I kinda expected this post to generate a little more discussion and maybe pushback, but since that didn’t happen - if we all agree this is true, then why would anyone be so certain that Biden shouldn’t be replaced?

I certainly get holding the opinion that he shouldn’t, but the key word in that proposition is “certain” and totally marrying yourself to the idea that Joe shouldn’t go. This is an unprecedented situation! It seems like there’s a lot of hubris involved in looking at it and being like “nope, absolutely not, sticking with the fossil is totally correct” when we frankly do not know shit (of which I will be the first to raise my hand, I’ve waffled between the two camps in the occasional polls about whether we think he should/shouldn’t drop out) about what will happen with the two paths forward.

1 Like

It’s too little too late.

For Biden to drop out or someone else to win?

For somebody else to win. I mean, maybe if it was not Kamala, but at this point it’s too late for anyone but Kamala.

I dunno, Harris wouldn’t be my first choice either but people are just so deflated about Biden I think there would be a substantial surge of overall enthusiasm that polling won’t reflect yet

3 Likes

Biden is so damaged anyone who can speak complete sentences is going to seem amazing.

I think the resistance to replacing Biden has a lot of different flavors including:

• you just can’t change horses in the middle of the race
  • it’s too late and it would just be chaotic to the Dem brand
  • it has to be his decision, he’s earned it, he can’t be forced out
  • “one bad night”
  • Biden is the leader of the party, of course he has to be the nominee

I think a lot of people are being inherently conservative about the situation, in the sense that they don’t want to make a big change like this without having a good idea of what’s going to happen and what the risks are.

I’m not unsympathetic to this feeling. This would put us in such uncharted territory, I think there’s a huge risk of it backfiring completely and ending up somehow worse than before.

But when I think about Biden’s inability to forcefully make his case with clarity and depth when given the opportunity, and all the missed opportunities that means for the next few months, I am persuaded that it’s time for him to pass the torch asap.

4 Likes

Yeah I definitely don’t think it’s a cakewalk but also things so bad gotta give it a go, could be a complete disaster. On other hand also some small chance it’s shockingly effective like bringing in a closer in baseball or something. We headed for defeat so gotta roll the dice

1 Like

He’s already dead

Sure seems like school shooter is the vibe here opposed to political statement

https://x.com/jacquiheinrich/status/1813761191056941344?s=46&t=N0_fcOKIYYmlCS2e4YShsQ