2024 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: Debate Night - Walz vs Weirdo

The guy I saw last night also doesn’t have four months of energetic campaigning left in him, which is what we need at this point. I agree that going with Harris would be a mistake. But who in the Dem party is really upset by Newsom or Pete at the top of the ticket? Pretty certain both actually have higher favorable ratings than Biden. And both are way better campaigners than Biden is capable of at this point.

1 Like

I have not watched even a second of the debate. Literally every single thing I’m hearing from everyone is that this is an unmitigated disaster and that Biden cannot be the dem nominee. I have been 100% in the “you must vote for Biden no matter what” camp. I will still vote for him if he’s the nominee and beg everyone else to do so as well.

As for the process: do whatever we’d do if he had a debilitating stroke yesterday.

Better, more unified Democratic party? Fuck that we need to do whatever we can to keep Trump from being the next president. Until last night I believed that Joe Biden was our best shot at that. Now I have some doubts!

4 Likes

Yeah I think they need to trot out a positive COVID test in next 48hrs and Biden yelling at top of lungs in 2 weeks otherwise it’s looking grim

not only that, it won’t ever work

There’s bad debates and there’s the literal WOAT Presidential debate performance we’ve ever seen. It made the sweaty Nixon performance look good.

I’m not sure if you didn’t watch last night or what? But there’s a reason the reaction has been this bad, to the point where friendly media sources are saying he needs to step aside. Where you had someone like Van Jones barely able to hold back tears while talking about Biden’s performance.

2 Likes

Newsom has a whole thread on UP referencing his French Laundry stuff. I think he’d be my pick, but there’s that and I think a lot of people would be pissed about Harris being passed over for a white man.

Pete is hated by a sizeable section of dems. One of the most intense slap fights I’ve gotten into at UP was me pointing out how strange it was that some people there got so mad that he took a picture of himself with his two newly adopted infants on a hospital bed.

Desperate times, call for desperate measures. Do you think they should just stay the course?

They put out a video of him at a rally looking far more up for it that night. It’s weird, would love to hear an actual real story about it. Probably never will.

I think it’s a stupid fucking idea to remove your presidential candidate from office while he remains your candidate for president that you can’t change without their consent. You should think that too. If you think that’s a good idea, you’ve lost the plot.

I was bought in. Biden always had gaffes and often time in longer term hindsight they weren’t gaffes at all. Biden always had great timing and saved his best for closest to voting day. Biden had to have an October surprise up his sleeve. We had the likelihood of rate cuts closer to the election improving economic things generally and specifically with housing affordability.

All of that seems small potatoes after last night. The guy confusing COVID and Medicare on stage, struggling to recall things drilled into his head in prep should be governing the country in 4 years? It’s really hard to make that case. I don’t know what happened to the competent enough guy we saw a few months ago at the state of the union but he appears to be gone and with old age it can go fast.

A more unknown candidate would hopefully make the more of a referendum on Trump and not on who is worse. I know it could backfire, but staying the course looks like complete disaster

1 Like

I absolutely think they could remove him from the ticket without his consent, or his consent could be forced. If we were past the convention it would b different but we’re not

I just don’t know anymore. I went into last night thinking trump had <10% to win, and I woke up feeling disgusted with massive anxiety. I figured the media might go at trump for lying and refusing to answer simple questions but nope! I guess the media doesn’t care if he frees Jan 6 criminals, let’s the world burn and bans abortion.

1 Like

We seem to be in a completely unprecedented situation either way. Replacing Biden would be a historic mess but losing to the former host of NBC’s The Apprentice would also be a clusterfuck. Biden is not beating the allegations even if he really is mentally sound enough for the job.

1 Like

Biden has 3894 delegates. Good luck with that.

Agree with your premise that we are in the devastating position we find ourselves in because our ruling class is filled with lazy, self-interested people who are incapable of doing hard things and it is very unlikely that they will suddenly develop the character and fortitude to get us out of this mess.

Agree, I don’t think it will happen, but I think if the party were full of decent people serious enough about Trump’s threat it would. As others have pointed out we couldn’t even get RBG to step down when it was her time.

It’s probably dumb but to me this feels like a college football message board melting down after a bad loss, but on a fucking national scale. Combine that with the USMNT shenanigans last night and it was easily a top 5 worst time to be online for me last night.

Shit I could only watch the debate in parts or highlights because of a toddler screaming. Overall not fun 0.5/5 stars at least no one died.

100%

like I personally am pulling the trigger for biden, it’s not a matter of my personal comfort with his ability vs. the alternative. but this is an all-time bad candidacy. Not “joe biden” in the abstract, but “2024 joe biden”

Should his appearance matter? in an ideal universe, probably not, but in the universe we actually live in, it DOES matter, whether you like that fact or not.

The Biden team is a disaster. Even as a Biden supporter, I left last night seriously questioning if the person I saw is actually competent to hold elected office. What do you think anyone who wasn’t completely on board is thinking?

The Biden campaign’s messaging is terrible. Look at Newsom’s twitter and he is running with better campaign messaging already as the non-candidate than anything Biden is putting out.

And seriously who the hell approved putting him up on stage in that condition last night? Anyone who had anything to do with that performance last night should be immediately fired.

To be fair, we’ve been fucked for a while, people just hadn’t realized it yet.