2024 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: Is Dementia Don Melting Down?

I’m no big-brained democratic strategist, but it seems silly to just ignore headlines like this:

Dow jumps 400 points to a record on Friday, S&P 500 closes above 5,800 for the first time

This is the 5th straight week of market gains, with new records being set every other day.

With all of the obvious caveats, this deserves to be talked about among all the achievements of the Biden/Harris administration. They should be taking some credit for this (regardless of whether or not they deserve it):

sp500

It should be impossible to look at this 2-year chart and believe that Democrats are “bad for the economy” or “bad for business”. The US economy has not been “destroyed”. It it not “in tatters”.

Is there any downside to at least mentioning this? It doesn’t need to be the central focus but apparently there are still people who believe the market is down this year. Remind people that the last recession was when Trump was in charge. Show the chart. Explain what’s likely to happen if the Trump Tariffs are put in place.

edit: if the market was down 20% this year instead of up 20% Trump would be hammering it relentlessly.

1 Like

Exactly. There’s a ton of those types in Scottsdale. They won’t love voting for her, but they won’t vote for Trump.

I mean there was one day this summer when the market looked like it was about to fall off a cliff and Trump spent it all nutting himself and trying to make “Kamala Krash” a thing, only to quickly memory hole the whole thing when it ended up just being a blip

2 Likes

The thread here convinced me that even though “the economy” is great and the US under Joe Biden had what appears to be a stronger recovery from COVID than huge swaths of the developed world, you can’t say it. You have to qualify any positive statement with grim acknowledgement that it fucking sucks and everyone is poor and miserable or else you come off like a total asshole.

So you just gotta keep your mouth shut and mock the diminished orange hitler and hope to squeak it out by a few thousand votes.

1 Like

Feels like Harris/Walz have turned back on the funny attacks on Trump kinda heralding back to the weird days

I’ve been screaming this from the mountaintops for months here, it hasn’t been particularly well received.

1 Like

Trump’s usual move when the market has gone up under Biden is to argue that “it’s because the market is pricing in his election as President”

The only downside to Kamala mentioning the stock market is that it leads to thousands of threads where Will Stanc!l argues that the economy is booming against his left followers who disagree.

https://x.com/MeidasTouch/status/1844843603576906208

I guess they’re really just going to crank the racism-o-meter to a million.

3 Likes

what

who are you worried will actually be swayed by that difference in those two scenarios?

NYT got Harris up by 4 in PA today

2 Likes

:vince1:

Over the last month, we’ve done 14 state or national polls. Of those polls, there are only two where Ms. Harris is running more than two points ahead of President Biden’s performance in the 2020 election: the two polls of Pennsylvania

Remember Biden’s commission to study court reform? LOL anything with no actual power

So does the Philadelphia Inquirer :eyes:

So… about people casting doubt on the cross tabs of polls showing Trump doing historically well with young people: (@CaffeineNeeded )

buddy that’s a poll without a comparison and a stupid question that could be taken very literally and answered yes.

1 Like

The dropoff from <30 yo (21%) to 30-49 yo (16%) is not very large (then drops to 7% for 50-64yo). I don’t know what conclusion to draw from that, but the result it shows certainly isn’t unique to young people only.

:leolol:

NYT: A Frustrated Trump Lashes Out Behind Closed Doors Over Money (gift link)

described by seven people with knowledge of the meal hahahahahahahaha

:leolol:

:vince1:

:vince:

1 Like

Dead heat 48-48 in new nbc news poll. Down from Harris +5 a month ago.