2024 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: Debate Night - Walz vs Weirdo

https://x.com/dhmontgomery/status/1815177475699405215

poll h2h not great for kamala against trump

That feels like hyper targeted at me satire. I feel like they pissed off their intern who compiles the useful stats.

AP releasing this kind of article is tilting tbh

https://x.com/AP/status/1815140571406569751

Literally grasping at straws. You love to see it.

3 Likes

Honestly Romney as like SOS or SecDEF would be absolutely fine. He shouldn’t have any position that can in any way affect domestic policy of course.

1 Like

This. I feel like bringing a lifetime Republican into the fold is massive FPS and will turn off more young voters (because you’re literally proving the existing belief that you’re GOP lite) than the voters that will cross over (which is ~0).

1 Like

I’m coming around on Kamala being a better matchup against Trump than she is a candidate overall.

She literally locked up gang members in California, that’s a great defense on immigrant crime lines of attack. Prosecutor/felon, put rapists away/he is one. She can speak to women on abortion more effectively than most male candidates probably could. When they hit her on laughing too much and being unserious, she can hit Trump on age, “Don’t you remember when you were young and used to laugh Donald? Or was that too long ago?”

When they play the videos of her dancing and attack her on it, she can hit him on age again.

1 Like

I don’t think most young voters care much about who the Secretary of State is.

If Romney is bored you might be able to get him for way cheaper than what you’re offering. He hates Trump so much he’s likely going to do it whether you ask him or not.

1 Like

Yeah, not at all idea that Harris polling worse against Trump than Biden. Trump is still a heavy favorite to win this election.

Louis (and @gman42 here) is right.

Think of how much of Trump’s appeal comes from the (extremely false) idea that he’s an outsider, that he’s working for you the everyman and that the political establishment hates him because he’s standing in their way.

Promising to put fucking Mitt Romney or Liz Cheney in the next Democratic administration is validating that exact message. It’s selling out the idea that the Democratic Party has a policy vision for the country that people should vote for, because how could that possibly be true if they’re willing to hand some of their reins over to conservatives? Also, you need your base to turn out. Who in the Dem base wants Mitt Romney as Secretary of Anything? (Maybe jman’s qualifier is ok that it’s fine if you keep them away from policy organizations, but mostly hard no)

1 Like

I’d be interested in taking some action.

I don’t think the people voting for Trump because he’s an outsider are ever voting for Harris anyway, and I think there are reachable voters that eat up bipartisanship and centrism, and playing to them by giving Romney State seems super +EV.

Is anyone on our side seriously going to decide not to vote for Harris because Romney will be SoS?

I’m sorry but the only scenario where Trump was the favorite was the Joe Biden has fallen down and can’t get up scenario we were all living.

Trump is a truly god awful candidate. The meme that our side should be spreading after that abomination of a convention is that Trump is the antichrist on facebook.

1 Like

Great, then we already won them because the other side is Trump/Vance.

(in reality, I highly (X) Doubt this assertion, or at least the idea that people like this exist in high enough numbers that Dems need to orient their strategy around turning them out and winning them, it sounds like the Third Way strategy Dem elites have been pursuing for two decades that got us Hillary losing to Trump)

I continue to have a deep skepticism of polling this cycle. The biden age stuff was an issue, but with it gone I see no reason to think the supposed realignment of minorities and stuff is actually real.

I really don’t think we can even start to think about what the polls mean until after convention. Biden is literally the president so has a lot of name recognition, Trump also was president and just got shot. Harris needs some time campaigning and all over headlines before we can know much

1 Like

I don’t think the Third Way strategy is fundamentally flawed. Hillary was a uniquely disliked establishment figure.

It would be really depressing to bet on Trump.

1 Like

https://x.com/AlecStapp/status/1815192046694789506