Abortion

Was this released on Good Friday to make it as difficult as possible to overturn in a week?

This is particularly appalling and concerning and shows how much the Christofascist right is intending to go for core human rights. It also shows how much outright lies go into the propaganda behind these pro life movements. I read and hear blatantly untrue shit spouted as fact like “there’s a heart beat at 6 weeks” like no there fucking isn’t. there’s nothing even resembling a heart til 10ish weeks, and even then it could barely be described as one, until 20ish weeks. just nonstop bullshit, and this is one of the main drugs terminating early pregnancies (it’s still an embryo til 10 weeks!) and what we want people to use instead of invasive and sometimes risky/dangerous (outside of formal medicine) procedures!

this is diabolical and I can’t fathom any sensible motive or profit to be had here. it’s just pure religious hysteria. It would be reassuring if the people in the highest positions of power would at least try to pretend to take any stance other than “well gee states rights and congress ya know” because that’s what they promised they’d do.

next are the plan B pills.

Man, Biden just does not have the stones to do this, but the absolute winning Dark Brandon move on this is:

1. Ignore the court’s ruling;
  2. Force the republicans in the house to impeach him for ignoring the court’s ruling;
  3. Survive the impeachment because lol senate; and
  4. Lead democrats on an absolute blue wave in ‘24 over abortion rights.

Spoiler Alert: He’s not going to do this.

1 Like

What really irritates me about this is that the only reason the political meta has gotten so toxic is that a bunch of old people in politics refuse to accept that the duopoly took an ugly ugly hit when the Supreme Court decided the election in 2000 (and crucially got the call extremely wrong because Bush was a goddamn moron) and then was violently finished off by Mitch McConnell back near the start of Obama’s first term, which for those keeping track was around when my wife and I started dating… and this year we’re doing everything for the 15th time.

The second they let go of their frankly insane belief that ‘this is just a phase’ or whatever lie they’re telling themselves about the Republican party we’ll be nearing the final moves of this political/economic era. I won’t miss the Reagan/Thatcher era at all.

I assume mainly to shutdown protests, but perhaps that, too.

Florida woman nearly killed by its state abortion ban (non-paywall link)

Florida legislators are happy to tell you the law is working as intended:

Fifth Circuit panel (two Trump appointees and one GWB appointee) issued their ruling on the appeal tonight. They stayed Kacsmaryk’s suspension of the FDA’s approval of mifepristone in 2000 and even these very conservative judges are like “yeah that part is some clown shit bro”, but they’re letting stand (giving extraordinary credulousness to the psycho conservative doctors having claims of standing) the parts of Kacsmaryk’s order regarding changes the FDA made in 2016 to allow it to be mailed? I’m not sure what the exact details on that part are yet.

Reminder: there’s been an open seat on the Fifth Circuit since August without a nominee being put forward, I assume because Dems are still terrified of blue slips

According to this guy the GWB appointee basically dissented here so this one is exclusively a Trump joint

They don’t do blue slips for circuit court positions so it’s probably just run of the mill incompetence from Biden.

Florida passed a ban at six weeks, headed to DeSantis’ desk.

This is functionally an abortion ban. Pregnancies are measured from the date of your last period, so six weeks is only two weeks (minus a few days) past the point when anyone not actively trying to get pregnant might even start to suspect they could be.

Washington judge issued a competing order to Kacsmaryk’s (and the Fifth Circuit’s partial upholding):

lol, awesome to finally have an Obama appointee looking at this conservative bullshit and just being like “fuck off”

Ugh, I didn’t realize that. And they’re going to keep going with this shit. The Christian pro life movement might be the only part of the right wing that isn’t full of shit. Like they are principled in their beliefs, and they won’t stop unless/until abortion is illegal in all 50 states.

I think a lot of people (not here obviously) still egregiously underestimate how crazy they are and how far they’ll go. I still hear a lot of, “They’d never do that.”

The part they’re full of shit on is providing help whatsoever to the kids/parents after they’re born.

lol it’s game over

I mean this may sound crazy right now, but the GOP may have just put Florida back into swing state territory in the statewide races.

1 Like

@sweetsummerchild

3 Likes

The ban was opposed by 75% of respondents in a poll last month. 22% supported it.

1 Like

I’m sure 100% of the 22% will vote vs. like 10% of the 75% cuz waaf and whatnot.

I think it’s more like:

100% of the 22% will vote.

50% of the 75% will vote, but almost half of them will vote R because tax cuts communism wokeness meow chow.

3 Likes

I’m sorry but ‘this doesn’t matter in elections’ has already been totally disproven. CommonWealth is right between this and deciding to fight lolDisney Florida is back in play.

The Biden admin should do something horrible to Cuba like a month before the election to finish it.