Climate and Environment: Cat 5 Hurricane Milton, 165 mph winds

Pawshaw, just an outlier year, we’ll probably have a cool summer next year.

Can’t travel to Las Vegas during hurricane season I gues.

2 Likes

It is rather cute to see people who think that a levitating train could more than quadruple the air speed record for free.

Jumping in late here but the amount of time under acceleration matters too. A punch to the face can be 100s of gs per wiki, but that doesn’t mean a human can tolerate that for more than a second

1 Like

But it doesn’t sound like we’re talking shuttle launch G’s either, which seem to top out in the 5-6 G range for maybe 25 minutes during re-entry, the google is all over the place with the numbers…

That’s interesting, i hadn’t thought about that.

SoCal might be fucked. Predictions of a once in a thousand year flood event.

But jman! Everyone knows how well Southern California is prepared for rain!

1 Like

I don’t see any reason southern california would be fucked. some desert areas not used to flash floods may see some flooding if the storm doesn’t bank west into orange/san diego counties. this area already gets heavy gales all the time and 6 inches of rain in a few days is a lot but there’s been historical precedent for that and it’s been fine.

If there were a storm surge, some under sea level places like this might be fucked Balboa Island, Newport Beach - Wikipedia

but most natural barriers to the ocean in southern california are well above sea level because it’s a lot of cliffs.

“once in a thousand year flood event” sounds like a histrionic LA times headline. There was a tropical storm here less than 100 years ago and have seen very severe tropical depressions several times even in my own lifetime. the 1997 el nino storms were about the worst I’d seen, and it wasn’t that bad. some parking lots got flooded, 7 inches in 24 hrs iirc.

I live on a hill and am not concerned.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some bad landslides/mudslides along those cliffs.

we’ve had 30 inches of rain this year and the rain totals predicted aren’t really alarming, I’d just not want to live in low lying areas but they already sand bagged and birmed (sp?) the beaches to help mitigate.

It looks like hilary juked east which was sort of predicted. LA is gonna get hit by the outer edge tomorrow morning. It’s headed right for the desert area (palm springs etc) and that’s gonna be really sketchy because those areas don’t get much rain and they’re prone to very heavy winds already the way that valley interacts with weather systems. I’m kinda bummed, I wanted to see all the dipshits trying to surf in it where I am.

https://archive.is/A25sj

Yeah I was imagining the wind, rain, and storm surge crashing on those cliffs could erode enough at the bottom to cause a slide.

This randomly made me remember a trip my now-wife and I took to San Diego for a long weekend in July 2015, expecting sunshine but getting torrential rain the whole time that utterly baffled us. Now, with this hurricane, I made the connection:

Though the hurricane itself brought minimal damage to Baja California, its remnants caused major damage to some Californian cities and surrounding areas in the Southwestern United States. Heavy rain totaling up to four inches in San Diego and Los Angeles counties broke historic records. High rainfall rates caused a bridge on Interstate 10 to collapse and injure one person, and a road was washed out on California State Route 78 near the California–Arizona border. One person was killed by a lightning strike in Kern County, California. The heavy rains also caused flooding and mudslides. Three tornadoes were reported, and damage totaled more than $50 million.

yea this is why I havent understood all the hype around this one. we get storms like this all the time

Well, not in the middle of summer usually. I guess it’s moved far enough north now that we’re getting high wind in the Bay Area but not much rain.

Also it seems like this could have been a lot worse, like it weakened enough before making landfall or didn’t go in the right path to hit the places that would be most devastated by it. I feel like this happens a lot with (Atlantic) hurricanes, you get reports of what could be a big one and then it fizzles out a bit before landing, they just don’t always know.

I don’t have the data in front of me but I used to work in a field that required me tracking the weather quite closely, I remember a handful of tropical storms that were just barely under the threshold of a full blown cyclone, the combination of cold water + the geography means it’d require an extraordinary sequence of events for a heavy tropical storm/hurricane to hit here.

The cold winter storms that come with gale warnings (i’ve seen 50+ mph) are usually much more destructive and we get those all the time. Since 1997 el nino flooding, lots of areas increased the capability of their storm drainage systems and I haven’t seen any real flooding where I live since then.

Sounds like Palm Springs got some flooding. Pretty sure the last 12-24 hours before it got there, the forecasts were for areas more inland to get hit much harder with flooding.

“capitalism will stop climate change by creating incentives to save us fast enough from a rapidly self destructing ecosystem!”

also capitalism:

Yeah this carbon credit bullshit has always been a scam. Tax carbon at the point of wholesale ferociously, no other option is remotely serious. Every penny of that money has to go back out as ubi or it can’t possibly be big enough to matter.

Yeah I deserve millions of dollars and ESG points for all the trees I’m not cutting down

It’s stupid, and easily gamified.