Climate and Environment: Cat 5 Hurricane Milton, 165 mph winds

:vince1:

1 Like

Yes, you would have traveled almost a quarter of the way there (633mi) while accelerating, then 9 minutes at max speed (1500mi) and another 7.5 decelerating.

Much like the Trisolaran fleet!

1 Like

How hot would this train get doing that speed at sea level instead of edge of atmosphere?

IMG_0995

5 Likes

Seeing Reddit posts saying a 2nd group replicated the superconductor but the source was “Tomshardware.com” I think??

https://e360.yale.edu/digest/idaho-beavers-stream-drought-fire

Beavers! The inline link about attaching them to parachutes is well worth clicking.

4 Likes

It’s one thing when dumb tourists come to town from other parts of the country (or world) and die on Phoenix hiking trails. But this woman was apparently an experienced hiker who went hiking alone (in a tank top?) at 8:30am (already well above 90). It’s fucking August, we’re in the middle of a historic heat wave that has been very well publicized over the past month. I just don’t get it.

Edit: apparently this woman was visiting from Oregon so I think I’m confusing her with another woman who went missing recently and was reportedly an experienced local hiker. I guess she’s not found yet, probably presumed dead.

How long would a local consider it safe to hike in that weather, assuming adequate hydration and sunscreen? An hour? Assuming it was like 95-105 degrees.

If I were visiting and it was a well marked trail that looped back or whatever, with reliable cell service, I’d probably feel fine about it with like a bottle of Gatorade and a bottle of water for that duration. But I’d also be checking my cell service frequently.

Feels like the big danger is getting lost/injured and not being able to get help, and thus being stuck there for hours and hours as the temperature climbs towards 120 and the sun just fries you.

If you gotta hike, get up at Dawn. Why risk it. It’s not like it isn’t all over the news that people are dying.

Yep, I probably wouldn’t risk it anyway but it I did it would be as early as realistically possible. If you want to go hiking in Arizona, probably don’t plan your trip for July/August.

1 Like

I think you’re underestimating how hard it is on your body to exert yourself in high heat and low humidity. Your Gatorade and water will be gone in half an hour.

If you’re adequately equipped and properly dressed (including a good hat), an hour would probably be fine, but it might not be very enjoyable. Like Dan said, you’d want to be finishing by 8:30, not starting then.

At least 2 popular trails in the city are closed on days like today with park rangers literally guarding the trailheads to keep people from accidentally killing themselves.

Hiking alone is extra loco. All the cell service in the world won’t help if you pass out and start to bake.

It’s a slow time of year for people who have to work outside. Like if roofers are even taking jobs they’re probably working from maybe 5 to 9am. I need to have my irrigation system replaced so I called my guy for a quote a couple of months ago and he told me to call back in October. :harold:

1 Like

Yeah makes sense, I wouldn’t expect it to be enjoyable, but I have a buddy who lives there who says he loves the 110+ degree heat.

But if there was some super scenic view and a short enough hike to be safe, I could see doing it in the early AM.

Crazy to think we’re probably going to see more and more people dying from heat while just doing “normal” activities.

1 Like

3 Likes

I mean, people in Arizona are going to the emergency room with third-degree burns just from falling on the pavement. We’re going to see a lot of people dying from a lot less than normal activity in the heat within this lifetime.

I guess the superconductor was a bust.

WaPo: Facing the Surge: With a fast burst of sea level rise, New Orleans’s outer defenses face a major test

Kinda cool multimedia article with a lot of drone footage and interviews, focused on the loss of wetlands around the Mississippi delta.

non-paywall link

1 Like

Totally normal stuff here:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurricane/tropical-storm-hilary-to-threaten-flooding-rain-in-california-nevada-and-arizona/1570250

Las Vegas could be impacted by the hurricane, could get two years worth of rain in a few hours. Everything’s fine.

More totally normal stuff: