Climate and Environment: Cat 5 Hurricane Milton, 165 mph winds

Hurrray, another day of this bullshit. If I didn’t already have a trip booked to Disney World next week I’d be on a plane with my kids right now.

New high score for Philly, was worse overnigh I believe.

Yeah the worst patch of smoke seems to be slowly drifting south. The air by my is (marginally) improving hour by hour. It peaked yesterday afternoon at 460.

Wife and I picked a great fuckin time to go visit her dad in New Jersey. Maybe traffic will be better than normal.

I caught the Philly news at 630am. They said they had a 400 reading.

:vince:

Yeah Montco got to 400+ last evening/night too I think.

The wife’s event was a huge success. I had the info a bit wrong. 100 invites. 60 rsvp. 70 attended. A handful of folks hung out inside. Air quality was not an issue.

Whew. Happy wife happy life. Proud hubby.

7 Likes

Right wing media going all-in on being pro wildfire smoke, anti doing to prevent it, and anti-masking to avoid breathing that wonderfully wood-scented air.

IMG_7668

Honestly free breathing a bunch of this air if you have a major heart condition is probably damn near as dumb as going unmasked during COVID. Inhaling a ton of toxic smoke when you’re already teetering on the edge seems like a great way to meet Caffeine at work.

Smoky-sky blues

Out-of-control fires in Canadian forests sent waves of smoke across the Northeast this week, New York City had air pollution levels that were truly dangerous. The smoke hit Washington, D.C., too, and extended as far as Atlanta. Currently, the smoke and haze are seeping into the skies over much of the northern tier of the country.

Smoky days have become a permanent summer reality. They may be better or worse, year to year, but they are not going away. This is just one more example of how climate change induced by human industrial practices is making our planet less hospitable.

This year, when Seattle’s sun turns red, the blue sky disappears behind a yellow smog and we are forced to stay indoors for the sake of our health, it will be a reminder that, as a species, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Well hopefully the Fox/Newsmax will take their own advice and run the “wildfire
Marathon” to prove it’s ok to exert in.

Minneapolis getting smacked with smoke now :harold:

2 Likes

Is this data biased towards the northern hemisphere/land area or do its seasons more strongly affect global temperature?