Climate and Environment: Cat 5 Hurricane Milton, 165 mph winds

1. It updates every hour and every hour is worse:

I think this scale tops out at 500. At this rate seems like we’re going to get there.

Is this the first forest fire you folks have been through in your area?

Yeah. We don’t get a ton in the Northeast, and certainly nothing of this magnitude.

1 Like

To be fair, I don’t know what the AQI readings have been out here, but spending most of my time in Washington, Oregon, and Colorado you kind of get used to it. The first summer back in Colorado I was about a 1/4 mile from the evacuation line of one the fires that hit around Boulder.

1 Like

Yeah this is pretty new to me, but my thoughts are that not having asthma or any other kind of respiratory issue, this isn’t exactly something for me to freak out about either.

1 Like

we are now investing 1.7 dollars on renewables (which doesnt include nuclear I think) to every dollar invested in fossil fuels

Can’t imagine. Thankfully air quality is solid in the Midwest. Sitting at 66 here.

It usually is in the Northeast. This is unlike anything many of us have seen in our lifetimes.

1 Like

On the bright side, it’s good practice for the catastrophes to come.

Wonder what breathing this air is in equivalent exposure to smoking cigs? Like walking around all day equivalent to smoking one cig or a pack or 5 packs?

Saturday is a good estimate. If we’re lucky it will clear on Friday. The northeast is under the influence of a low pressure system centered off the tip of Maine which will draw air from the wildfire area of Canada straight into the NY/NJ/PA area. There are no other air masses nearby which will force the low pressure out. If anything the center of the system will be drawn further west towards NH/VT, which may provide some temporary relief by sending the smoke further westward with it, but you’re still likely to see orange air quality levels, and “temporary relief” is like being temporarily relieved if you’ve been run over by a car and they reverse before fully clearing out by driving back over you again. Sometimes weather is tough to predict but with these macro observations there’s really no mechanism for anything other than air flowing from Canada to the NE US over the next few days.

(I am not a professional meteorologist but understanding weather is the most important part of my job and I look at detailed weather products daily)

2 Likes
2 Likes

My fiancee said she read it was the equivalent of smoking 6 cigarettes a day - I’m assuming that was to be outside in it. That was Philly area, obviously NY has been worse so far.

AQI of 10 here where I am but during wildfire season we can spike real high and it seems like the smoke mixes with the LA smog - I have off and on asthma and breathing is rough during the best of times.

Yeah my fiancee was supposed to come back to Vegas after working a few days next week. I told her to bail and come back now, it’s not worth breathing that air this week for a small amount of money. Especially once she could smell it indoors.

Meanwhile New Yorkers demonstrating how few fucks they give.

@commonwealth, the Merv13 filter in my Central AC /Furnace Unit seems to have done the trick, air in the house seems completely clean. Thanks for the tip. I’m poobably going to blow the motor after running the fan continuously for days, but that’s a problem for future jman.

1 Like

FWIW we’ve had it in there since East Palestine and no issues.

Tourists, IMO.

Jfc. I’m here in India and watching all my tennis team planning get fucked up. And to really top that the wife has been planning a BIG event outside for months for Thursday night. No way the 100 planned guests can fit in the historical society house for months.

If her event gets blown up she will be beyond consoling. I’m not due back until the 18th. I don’t know if that will make it better or worse.